1999 E300TD any good?

Hi All,

I'm about to go look at one of these. Love the idea of the car still having a inline engine... turbo is nice. Any caveats that I'm not aware of? What should I be paying for this car roughly??

cheers, guenter

ps I imagine it's a far car from the new CDI engine, but should be a lot cheaper though.

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I considered one myself but a MB diesel fanatic friend convinced me to go for an older one. I just bought a '92 300E turbo diesel. So far so good. Haven't gathered enough data for actual fuel economy but with diesel running $0.45 less than regular unleaded I figure I'm already way ahead of the game.

JD

Reply to
JD

That's the car I would buy... either 99 or 98. I want that turbo!

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Yes, I hope that I'll get it.... it'll be a far cry from my 240D. Any idea what the ballpark price should be with about 80k miles on it???

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

We have two of them, both 98's; they have their quirks but IMO offer a newer car look, good fuel mileage, and good safety rating, we run ours on SVO or WVO and they love it. I also have a 91 300TD... With that mileage, depending on where you're buying it, expect to pay in the mid to upper teens, which, if the car is very clean and everything checks out is not too bad. Ours both have higher miles and I paid right at

11K for each one.
Reply to
a2zebayplrod

A pittance in comparison to a '98-'99; $4200

JD

Guenter Scholz wrote:

Reply to
JD

I should qualify that a little. That year and model Merc could command $10,000 in the Seattle area where I live. I bought mine from the Philly area.

JD

Reply to
JD

Sounds about right on price range. Check with edmudns.com...nadaguides.com and look at autotraders.com for some listing to get some comparison in prices.

SVO or WVO... what kit did you install? I guess you got a second tank too... Who does the treatment of the oil? How easy is it? Any direct source of information is greatly appreciated as I want to plan for my 95 E300D diesel.

Reply to
Tiger

just made a kit for me with a custom 5gallon tank for diesel which mounts in the trunk on the passenger sidebehind the wheel well. This was his first W210 kit I believe but thisguy is a craftsman. I'm running single tank blends in both cars, thatis, I put the veggie oil once filtered and settled and dewateredstraight into my car's fuel tank and heat the oil in the enginecompartment before the injection pump. I collect and process all ofmy own oil from one restaurant. To learn more about this go to theinfopop forum at
and read away. Usblenders were given our own section it's called "solvent thinning" gothere and read, lots of knowledgeable people there who have been doingthis for awhile. I read for 2 years before I took the plunge. I'venever looked back, I've got my whole family on veggie and now lookingto replace the familiy vacation hauler with a big diesel SUV to do thesame.

Reply to
a2zebayplrod

How long have you been running with this Vege Terranian? Who installed it? Sorry for asking alot of questions... but I'd like to learn more...

Reply to
Tiger

Did my '79 300TD at

last weekend.Really trick setup, very clean install. $450 for the parts, $250 forthe labor that I didn't want to deal with. There's a huge new (primary) fuel filter that goes before the prefilter. This filter mount also taps the coolant lines, to heat the fuel as it enters. From there, the fuel travels into the prefilter, through the pump, and into the place where the primary fuel filter used to be, but there's another heater there. That part wigs me out a bit, but a lot of people have this setup and I suppose if you're cleaning your own oil you know it's not going to have crap in it in the first place. So that heater takes the coolant out from the primary filter, and coolant goes back to a tap near the firewall. Oh yeah, there's another electric fuel pump installed just before the primary filter now too.

I live in Southern California. The temperature ranges from 70 to 70, so running pure veggie oil in the tank year-round isn't a problem. I'm already planning an engine teardown, which I may now put off a year. Nab myself some of those Elsbett injectors while doing the rings. (Leaking oil out of the breather now which stinks when it burns. I lose under a quart every 3k miles though, so it ain't terrible just yet.)

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Wow Tom! Keep us updates... that place is so cool. Anytime without appointment MB conversion! Relative resonably priced setup compared to all other I have seen.

Reply to
Tiger