1999 E300TD any good?

Hi All,
I'm about to go look at one of these. Love the idea of the car still having a inline engine... turbo is nice. Any caveats that I'm not aware of?
What should I be paying for this car roughly??
cheers, guenter
ps I imagine it's a far car from the new CDI engine, but should be a lot cheaper though.
Guenter Scholz wrote:

I considered one myself but a MB diesel fanatic friend convinced me to go for an older one. I just bought a '92 300E turbo diesel. So far so good. Haven't gathered enough data for actual fuel economy but with diesel running $0.45 less than regular unleaded I figure I'm already way ahead of the game.
JD
.... so, what were they asking for the one you were looking at? What was the ballpark on the '92 you bought if I may be so bold?

A pittance in comparison to a '98-'99; $4200
JD
Guenter Scholz wrote:

JD wrote:

I should qualify that a little. That year and model Merc could command $10,000 in the Seattle area where I live. I bought mine from the Philly area.
JD

That's the car I would buy... either 99 or 98. I want that turbo!

    Yes, I hope that I'll get it.... it'll be a far cry from my 240D. Any idea what the ballpark price should be with about 80k miles on it???
cheers, guenter
On May 14, 9:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

We have two of them, both 98's; they have their quirks but IMO offer a newer car look, good fuel mileage, and good safety rating, we run ours on SVO or WVO and they love it. I also have a 91 300TD... With that mileage, depending on where you're buying it, expect to pay in the mid to upper teens, which, if the car is very clean and everything checks out is not too bad. Ours both have higher miles and I paid right at 11K for each one.
Sounds about right on price range. Check with edmudns.com...nadaguides.com and look at autotraders.com for some listing to get some comparison in prices.
SVO or WVO... what kit did you install? I guess you got a second tank too... Who does the treatment of the oil? How easy is it? Any direct source of information is greatly appreciated as I want to plan for my 95 E300D diesel.

http://www.vegeterrainian.com/ just made a kit for me with a custom 5 gallon tank for diesel which mounts in the trunk on the passenger side behind the wheel well. This was his first W210 kit I believe but this guy is a craftsman. I'm running single tank blends in both cars, that is, I put the veggie oil once filtered and settled and dewatered straight into my car's fuel tank and heat the oil in the engine compartment before the injection pump. I collect and process all of my own oil from one restaurant. To learn more about this go to the infopop forum at http://biodiesel.infopop.cc and read away. Us blenders were given our own section it's called "solvent thinning" go there and read, lots of knowledgeable people there who have been doing this for awhile. I read for 2 years before I took the plunge. I've never looked back, I've got my whole family on veggie and now looking to replace the familiy vacation hauler with a big diesel SUV to do the same.
How long have you been running with this Vege Terranian? Who installed it? Sorry for asking alot of questions... but I'd like to learn more...
Tiger wrote:

Did my '79 300TD at http://www.lovecraftbiofuels.com last weekend. Really trick setup, very clean install. $450 for the parts, $250 for the labor that I didn't want to deal with.
There's a huge new (primary) fuel filter that goes before the prefilter. This filter mount also taps the coolant lines, to heat the fuel as it enters. From there, the fuel travels into the prefilter, through the pump, and into the place where the primary fuel filter used to be, but there's another heater there. That part wigs me out a bit, but a lot of people have this setup and I suppose if you're cleaning your own oil you know it's not going to have crap in it in the first place. So that heater takes the coolant out from the primary filter, and coolant goes back to a tap near the firewall. Oh yeah, there's another electric fuel pump installed just before the primary filter now too.
I live in Southern California. The temperature ranges from 70 to 70, so running pure veggie oil in the tank year-round isn't a problem. I'm already planning an engine teardown, which I may now put off a year. Nab myself some of those Elsbett injectors while doing the rings. (Leaking oil out of the breather now which stinks when it burns. I lose under a quart every 3k miles though, so it ain't terrible just yet.)
-tom!
Wow Tom! Keep us updates... that place is so cool. Anytime without appointment MB conversion! Relative resonably priced setup compared to all other I have seen.