1999 ML320 Navigation

Hey there,

I have a 99 ML320 with a standard radio and want to install a navigation system instead. The hole in the dashboard seemingly is big enough to accommodate but I do have few questions. How difficult is the wiring and antenna installation. Also, can I install a unit from say 2001 ML320 or even other models like S class? And finally, does it have to be activate/programmed by the dealer?

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob

According to Steve from Finland I believe... Yes, you can install MB Navigation system... it must be from ML vehicles... You just need new trim covers.

Word of caution, don't buy used navigation system on eBay... unless there is warranty. The reason is alot of those funky navigation units that needs service are being sold. Repair will set you back almost to the price of good used one or more.

Buy used or new units from reputable stores that includes warranty.

Reply to
Tiger

It is *possible* to retrofit an MCS from a later model year ML, but I'm not sure the effort would really be worth it. Just the parts would be over $3K (assuming you bought them new from the dealer). You could go the used route, but even that would be expensive. I would recommend an aftermarket system. You can replace the radio in your 99 model with just any single-DIN sized aftermarket unit. There are a few double-DIN sized models with fixed (as opposed to fold-out) touchscreens that might work quite well. I'd start with the local car stereo shops to see what they may have done in other ML's.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill