2.3 ??'s

Knocks at idle, like a rod or main bearing but, it goes away under load.
Even if it's just in drive, foot on the brake, take rpm's up to 1000 and it's quiet and smooth as silk.
thoughts ??
Bit of a long shot, but on '72 V8 that would be a hydraulic chain tensioner.
Mmm... you reminded me of the problem MB had on the timing chain tensioner...There was a new updated part that solved the problem.
Not to be sarky, but on my engine or the 2.3 four cylinder?
When I replaced my tensioner on the V8 it looked pretty much the same though rebuilt.
I remembered reading from Performance Products... long ago... yes for 4 cylinders... In any case, if you buy replacement part now, it is most likely to be the updated one.
That's very interesting. Thank you. I always like learning new things.