200,000 miles!

Page 1 of 2
My 1992 300D 2.5L turbodiesel just crossed 200,000 miles today and looks absolutely beautiful.
Just thought I'd let everyone know. I even have an AVI of the odometer
rolling over to 200k. :)
However, there's just one issue: the little mini-wiper on the left headlight seems to be stuck halfway through it's travel, and is at a 45ฐ angle on the light. Pushing the wash-squirt button causes it to squirt, but the wiper itself does not move. Any thoughts?
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com

Add pictures here
โœ–

Yup! And with the condition the engine, body, suspension, and so forth is in, it'll look pretty good when it gets that high. It's in remarkably good condition. It just needs some new shocks (the ride's getting a bit "mushy"), and standard maintenance. They really built this car quite well.
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com

Yes, I've seen these cars (as taxis) with over 500K miles!
cp
Add pictures here
โœ–
cp wrote:

Well, I certainly hope my 50K mile '87 250D will hold out that long ;) In that case I should still be driving it in 2025 ;)
Ximinez
โœ–

Your math is not good. Your distant ancestors will be running it on grape juice in 2360. That's 373 years from new. That should be some kind of record if it makes it.
Huw
Add pictures here
โœ–

no no, descendents, not ancestors :-)
Add pictures here
โœ–

Your English is at least as good as my maths.
Huw
Add pictures here
โœ–

LOL!!!
cp
Add pictures here
โœ–
Congrats. It should hit 400K with no problem.
Wiper (appendix) stuck? Remove it.
Collin KC8TKA E320/97
Add pictures here
โœ–

Indeed. Unfortunately, now the manual's out of "when to maintain your car and do particular services" pages. What should I do now for >200k maintenance?

I like the little mini-wipers...I don't want to break it tugging on it or some such. Maybe it blew a fuse? I'll ask a friend to push the squirt button to see if the other one moves too, or if both don't work. It's tough to do that myself. :-D
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com

Perhaps the little motor is fried or the axle/sleeve is jammed. I don't know how much room there is to access the unit, but the might be able to pull the motor and see if it is getting power. A new one runs about $100USD.
Good luck, and congrats on reaching 200K. Makes me wish I had a diesel.
Josh
Add pictures here
โœ–
Josh wrote:

Add pictures here
โœ–
You need to sync your wiper..........shut off the engine, lights, and wiper........then start over. The same thing happened to my 1997 SL500.
Add pictures here
โœ–

200K is no problem for a gas either
cp
Add pictures here
โœ–

Would that were true in more cases... Wishful thinking in many.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Not at all, 200K is no problem at all. It's all maintenance. But then, the mechanics I know here who come from Europe or Asia say people here don't know how to take care of their cars. This one guy I know his '87 audi turbo had over 400K km before the head gasket went, car went great but 400K out of it was enough. My brothers 260E (which he sold to a friend) has about 235K miles, autobahn driven but maintained, and many more example that escape my mind
cp
Add pictures here
โœ–

My 190e, which was maintained fanatically (he had all the records), had the head off at 75K due no a loud screeching valve.
Luckily for me, whoever did the work did a nice job, as it's been running like a champ since I bought it (10K miles ago) and hold's it's oil fantastically. I drove over 8500 miles on the oil that came in the car when I bought it (just changed), and it didn't move more then an eighth of an inch down the dipstick.
Still, assuming that most cars will run 200K with proper maintenance is overly optimistic in my opinion.
Have you drive a ford lately :~) Marty
Add pictures here
โœ–

Lucky you found a low mileage model :)