200,000 miles!

head off at 75K due no a loud screeching valve.

a champ since I bought it (10K miles ago) and

in the car when I bought it (just changed), and it

Lucky you found a low mileage model :)

overly optimistic in my opinion.

Oh, not most cars, just good cars :-)

Yeh, with a mercedes engine :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

My '86 190E not only reached 200K miles but I have the official Mercedes-Benz medallion to prove it. It does show functional aging "wrinkles" though.

Reply to
Hernando Correa

I figured it out...seems that the headlight wipers only work when the headlights are turned on. All my attempts at making it move where when the lights were off.

By turning on the lights and hitting the "squirt" button, I was able to get the thing to actuate normally and go back to its stowage position when done. I must have turned the lights off previously before the wiper was fully back in position. Interesting indeed.

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

Always pays to read the Owner's Manual FIRST!

Jan

Reply to
JMW

Manual? Oh, I suppose I could have done that...but it would have /made sense/. :)

Rather, through pure chance was it resolved -- it was foggy that day, so I turned on the headlights. I drove up to a nearby store which had a rather reflective glass window in which I could see my headlamp and wiper. As there was something on my windshield, I pushed the squirt button...and Lo! and Behold, the lamp wiper moved. I was able to see this in the glass, and immediately put two and two together.

Ah, the joys of dumb luck...

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

I believe it is most cars. For example, My '89 300E has 240,000 miles with basic maintenance, no Head tranny or gasket work. My 95 Ford E-150 Van, 150,000 miles, absolutely no fluid leaks or losses, it runs as good as it did new. We also have two Ford Escorts, both with 1.9L motors (the crappy ford motor), one is at 150,000 miles, the other at

110,000 miles. With proper maintenance and preventive maintenance, anything beyond a russian or italian motors should make 200,000 miles before rebuilds are necessary.
Reply to
Thom

medallion to prove it. It does show functional aging

No offense intended, but 200K miles (gas or diesel) is nothing to write home about. My friend's dad's chevy truck made it past 600K miles, now that's impressive. Anything less than 300K for a Mercedes gas or diesel is not acceptable, it's either a lemon or been badly maintained.

cp

Reply to
cp