2000 ML320 ABS, ETS, and ESP/BAS Light on Simultaneous

When I start the car, the lights are off. When I begin to drive, all three lights: ABS, ETS, and ESP come on at the same time. The lights don't come on until I start on a road. I can drive around in a parking lot slowly and the lights stay off. As soon as I get on the road, they come on.

I just purchased the car three weeks ago, so I called the user car dealer. He called a MB mechanic buddy of his and the guy told him that normally indicates a brake switch lamp. Does anyone agree with this possibility?

The only factors I can detect that are potential problems are : 1. the rear right tire is wearing uneven. The inside part of the tire is wearing faster than the outside. 2. It's been pretty cold where I live since this problem started (19-30 degrees F) I woudln't think that would cause a problem.

I appreciate any input or past experiences.

Scottie

Reply to
scottie

my CLK320 did that after a heard and felt a "pop" while tooling along the highway.

they ended up replacing the brake control unit. I may not have the nomenclature right, but it was the octopus-like part of the braking system that has all the hard hydraulic lines coming out of it.

it wasn't cheap, but they covered it under "good will" as the car was a very early production model and came with more than its share of problems...

Reply to
Phil Perry

This is definitely not a brake switch lamp problem. Although it could be a faulty ABS computer or hydraulic system component, it sounds more like a faulty wheelspin sensor. The ABS/ESP/ETS system uses sensors on each wheel to detect the rotational speed which the computer interprets to determine if any wheel has lost traction. There are also yaw sensors (gyros) that detect lateral vehicle motion for the ESP system that could be failing, but that's rare (and besides that, they are solid-state, so it would probably appear as a faulty ABS controller). I have heard several reports of cold weather causing the wheelspin sensors to fail. You are most likely going to need dealer service to correct this.

As for your uneven tire wear, that sounds more like an alignment issue. You will need to go to a dealer to have this vehicle properly aligned. The tire stores generally do not have the equipment to do a full alignment. Dealer price is around $120.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

The car dealer I purchased the car from paid for a new brake switch, and you were correct in that was not the problem. The cold weather is back in North Carolina, and the lights are back on. Looks like I will take this puppy in and get it diagnosed at the MB dealer. Thanks for the input. Scottie

Reply to
scottie