2000 ML320 and Oil Light?

I think he's getting the run around. The oil light on my brother's ML320 keeps coming on and he has to add oil pretty often. So the car is in for inspection tomorrow and he talked to the mechanic. The mechanic said this is "normal" and every 600 miles one has to add oil. What the hell? My older then dirt Acura doesn't need oil. My dad's 2003 ML350 doesn't need oil. My mom's Acura TL doesn't need oil every few hundred miles. Hell, even my co-worker's old Chevy trucks and Hyundai's don't need oil every few hundred miles. I already told him to find another dealer, but he's pressed for time and the closest one is 70 miles away from him. Any words of wisdom?

Don't say buy a Hyundai.

Reply to
Justin

That's not normal... if he is burning too much oil, that is bad. If he has extended warranty, I'd press for engine replacement due to excessive oil consumption.

If not, I would simply trade it in for another ML 320 with extended warranty.

It could be that one component of the engine is bad that cause excessive oil consumption but it would require some testing.

Reply to
Tiger

and the tech is probably too lazy to properly troubleshoot the engine. Engine replacement? Yeah right... That won't happen. The vehicle is a few years old, at least four.

Its amazing, my brother keeps a few quarts of oil in the underseat container on the passenger side.

Reply to
Justin

He does not need extended warranty. 1998 to 2001 models sold thru March of 2001 fall under the O'Keefe Class Action Settlement. Tell the dealer to READ Technical Bulletin

18.00/21 dated Dec 5, 2003.

It includes replacing the engine FOR FREE under certain conditions.

If anyone wants the bulletin, email me and I will send you the pdf.

Reply to
Karl

Wow! Karl, could you send me a copy of that bulletin? I think a friend of mine is going to need it.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Tiger

That's BS. I've never added a drop of oil between oil changes in my 2000 ML320 since the day I bought it. Have it checked out at a MB dealer.

DanlK

fyis_

According to the thing you sent me, if there is ONLY oil consumption there's nothing wrong.

Reply to
Justin

Your brother's oil consumption is crazy enough that he has multiples of problems... so it is not your job to figure out what the problem is... it is the dealer's duty to figure out the problem.

Reply to
Tiger

Read it again. I wrote "It includes replacing the engine FOR FREE under certain conditions." I wrote that for a reason. IF the oil consumption is greater than one qt per 660 mile [#2 on page 2]; YOU wrote one qt in 600 which is more!, then the repair is to replace the engine if the walls are scored. READ 4. on page 3.

Read it all slowly, again.

The problem arose because MB only recommended synthetic oil when the A and B services started in

1998 and everyone used dino oil. Then in 2001 MB realized that dino oil would not last for the 15000 mile oil change spread. This caused excessive sludging and ring sticking. MB then required syn oil. I have replaced at least a dozen engines for this settlement. ALL have had scored walls. Case 3a on page 4.

Reply to
Karl

I agree. I'll get him to take the damn thing back to the dealer.

Reply to
Justin