2000, S280,a very unhappy owner....

Dear Mr Gan

Reference to your last email to DaimlerChrysler Malaysia Sdn Bhd of 29th August 2003.

We have been following closely on the various correspondences between yourself and DaimlerChrysler Malaysia. Hence, we would like to assure you DaimlerChrysler Malaysia Sdn Bhd as our distributor from 1st January 2003 have attended accordingly to your vehicle's concerns. The two issues pertaining to front plastic seat cover and the instrument cluster were restored to the normal operating conditions in accordance with the Mercedes-Benz repair guidelines. DaimlerChrysler Malaysia Sdn Bhd has also provided their best assistance and attention to you as a customer during this period and we hope you can understand their position.

They have also acknowledged the comments highlighted by you and you can be assured that it was taken seriously.

Once again, we like to confirm that they have extended the necessary assistance in attending to your vehicle under the described circumstances. This was despite your vehicle was not purchased from our distributor's dealer network nor was the vehicle imported into Malaysia by our distributor. Our records revealed that your vehicle bearing VIN No. WDB

220063-2A-161035 was dispatched from factory to Trinidad on 6th October 2000.

Thank you for the attention.

With Best Regards DaimlerChrysler SEA Pte Ltd

Fred Schärli Wong Jee Heng Senior Manager Senior Executive Dear Mr.Wong,

Well, it is rather sad to see a brand that we have associated with for the last

28 years is coming to an end. It all started with poor product quality, defective merchandise, sub-standard and bad services, arrogant staff, proud and egoistic management.

DaimlerChrysler's letter to customer do not seems to carry an air of friendship and cooperation. We as your customer never ever feel that we are valuable enough to you that you will do whatever is reasonable to continue the business relationship.

The very low level of confidence with DaimlerChrysler has generated many questions about your services and product quality. DaimlerChryslers' attitude of avoiding and brushing off all the questions asked has further reinforced the negative and unacceptable image of defensiveness and dogmatism. You just failed to understand that ignoring, denying, or covering up an obvious error can severely damage DaimlerChryslers' repution in the market. Whether DaimlerChrysler has provided their best assistance and attention to their customer, the verdict should come from the customers, certainly not from one of your own people. Self professing and admiration is a very shameful behaviour in the business world.

When a customer is right, a customer is right! And when a customer is right, the best thing for the business at fault to do is to admit to its error and try to redeem itself. On the contrary, DaimlerChrysler has a totally different philosophy towards its customer. DaimlerChrysler is so big that it is not destructable and non perishable. Simple and straight forward questions from the customer should be answered with sincereties and diligencies. This positive approach will definately resolve the fuzzy situation to the mutual satisfaction.

By telling me that my car was not purchased from your distributor's dealer network and not imported into Malaysia by your distributor will not in anyway free you from your responsibilities and liabilities, unless you are not part of DaimlerChrysler. Whether this car is dispatched from Stuggatt to Trinidad or to Timbuckto, it is still a Mercedes Benz. Your " Three Cents "mentality will further aggravate the situation, it is like putting salts onto wounds. Make use of your expertise in technical to answer all my technical questions asked. Stop throwing around your " Three Cents " attitude, you will certainly make things worst.

Rgds, ST Gan The Unhappy owner

CC; alt.auto.mercedes alt.autos.bmw Consumer Association of Malaysia

Reply to
ST Gan

What was wrong with the repairs?

Why would you bother shipping a car from Trinidad to Malaysia?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Crikey I can't imagine Mercedes coping with that! They couldn't even cope with the warranty claims on my car after I moved from Germany to France shortly after purchasing the car!

Reply to
Ric

As a former British colony, Malaysia is a right-hand drive country. There has been a large grey market for Mercedes cars brought in from other right-hand drive countries. The official M-B prices are high enough to make it sometimes worthwhile for enterprising businessmen to import grey-market vehicles from the Caribbean and even the UK.

The extent of this activity, of course, varies with exchange rates and other factors, such as the availability of import permits.

The local M-B organization naturally frowns on this, but not just because it affects their sales volume and/or profits. Many of the grey-market cars were sold with different warranty terms and may have non-standard components for which there's no parts or service locally available.

This can be a major customer satisfaction problem for upscale makes like M-B and BMW--it's hard to explain to a customer that you don't have the parts in the country for a engine you don't sell in any of your models, that none of your mechanics have any training on a particular component, and that you don't have the required special tools or even the appropriate repair manuals.

In the past, locally-assembled and/or officially imported models may also have had some components chosen specifically for local tropical/semi-tropical conditions, e.g., upgraded cooling systems, etc. I don't know if this is still true.

These comments are based on some automotive consulting work I did in Malaysia a few years ago. The situation may have changed somewhat since then, but I suspect that gray market vehicles--like the one in question here--are still an issue.

Reply to
Carroll Bloyd

'Grey' imports are frowned upon for a variety of reasons, and the technical ones you mentioned are probably still valid in a number of cases.

In the UK the 'official opposition' comes because it undermines/undermined margins. When the pound was high relative to the euro in 1999/2000/2001, personal and 'grey' imports were flooding into Britain covering all sorts of brands and models, and not just high-value cars. Based on some official figures I estimated that about 8% of all cars registered in the UK in 2000/1 bypassed the official dealerships. I have no doubt that the figure was much higher for top Mercs, BMWs and Porsches. I imported by own CLK in 2001 by ordering it in Germany and driving it home to London. Simple way of saving about GBP 5k.

In that period Merc reacted by lowering the UK prices and raising the RHD price in Germany, making the direct import a lot less attractive (UK dealers were suffering greatly) and I probably would have saved another GBP 5k before the price changes.

There were threats of not honouring warranties, service refusals and other garbage. All empty threats. What was/is true that my German/international warranty was shorter than the one issued by UK dealers (UK = 3 yr).

Now that the currency relationship has shifted I gather that many fewer cars are coming into Britain 'unofficially'.

BTW, in this context I have been fascinated by Ric's service problems moving his car between Germany and France. It is outrageous and shows that the European Commission has still work to do to eliminate car manufacturer's restrictive practices, which have been legion. Some have gone and are going but clearly the job is not finished. We'll see what happens what happens when the block exemption is lifted, i.e. when car manufacturer's hold on dealers is loosened, i.e. allowing dealers not to dance to the dictates of the makers.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I`d be unhappy with an S280 as well... you`d be able to walk to your destination quicker than driving.... :)

Brett....

Reply to
Brett

I have to say that the warranty service I have received from MB UK on my French registered E500 has been exemplary.

-- JB E500

190 Evolution II 190E 2.0

Coming shortly W126 500SEL

Reply to