2001 C-320 Plastic Engine Cover removal?

A co-worker has the C-320, and the dealer quoted her $385 to change the spark plugs. I thought this was insane, so I told her I would take a look. I couldn't remove the big plastic cover over the engine! The front lifts off, but doesn't come off, and the back and sides are on there good.

Is there a hidden set of screws? How does this thing come off?

Also, are there 12 plugs, attatched by a strange set of ignition wires, making the task of changing the plugs a 3-hour ordeal for the dealer?

Thanks!

Andy

Reply to
AndyK

There are two plugs per cylinders. Yes, there are hidden screws for those cover... look for those 'caps.' $385 seems kinda high but considering each plug is $10 each... so that's $120 there alone.

I believe these plugs are 100,000 miles plugs.

Reply to
Tiger

They cost more than $10 Last ones I had to get for a nissan (in the UK) were about $50 each. They are supposed top last a very long time.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Plus you will probably need the special tool for removing the wires from the spark plugs. It costs approx. $70.

You might want to get a quote from a good independant MB mechanic. It still won't be as cheap, but it might save a few bucks.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

I'd look away if I were you, the plugs have a nasty habit of coming out with bits of the head attached, especially if they've been in since new...

Reply to
nick