2001 E320 Steering Noise

I have a 2001 E320 with 41,000 miles. Intermittently it has fast rattle coming from the driver's side sounding to be near the fire wall or under the hood. The sound comes and goes, is not terribly loud,
but is a fast repetitive noise that appears to be somewhat in sink with the vertical movement of the suspension. I say somewhat because the frequency or speed of the rattle appears to be faster than the suspension could move vertically. When the rattle is occurring I get a soft squeak when turning the steering wheel. This squeak is inside the passenger compartment. Any thoughts as to where to start looking?
Two issues, in my opinion. The rattle may be from the fender liner that surrounds the left front wheel - loose or damaged etc. There are also other plastic shields down there that ought to be grasped and shaken to check if one of them is the offender. The rattle may be related to wind speed rather than suspension action.
Soft squeaks inside the steering column test your motivation: $$ vs. soft squeak.
permission.
On Feb 20, 11:51 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I checked for loose plastic around the wheel well and found nothing loose. The clicking almost sounds electronic like a relay opening and closing.