2002 E-320 wipers

I just discovered the sensor that causes the wind shield wipers to detect rain and activate the wipers in Intermittent mode. I was washing the car today and deliberately set the wipers in that mode and squirted
water in localized places. Couldn't find it until I was using the chamois on the windshield and found the black dots around the rear view mirror seemed to be the sensitive area.
Is this new news or am I years behind you guys?
James

Yes - this uses infrared technology and sends light through the windshield. If it reaches the edge of the windshield it indicates the windshield is dry. If water is on the windshield, if deflects the light out of the glass therefore less light reaches the edge, and the wiper is activated.
Jeff
have you come across the problem i have had with my last two merc, which is, when i turn the wiper switch to the intermitant wipe position nothing happens, could it be a faulty fuse or something?
Jeff Warren wrote:

dobo via CarKB.com wrote:

When you leave it in the Intermittent position and later start the engine does it wipe once? Does it work in other positions? Those might be clues as to what's wrong.

Not sure - I have a 2001 E-class and it will wipe one time when place from Off to Auto mode, and then once every ignition cycle if left in the Auto mode. New cars (2003+ perhaps) do not wipe automatically on an ignition cycle.
Unfortunately, I don't know what your problem could be - I haven't troubleshot the system before. Even if the rain sensor is defective, it should wipe one time when you place it in Auto mode.
Jeff
Way behind... heh heh heh...
Tiger wrote:

The faster I go the behinder I get. :-D
But I am glad you asked that question! (But I admit I was never THAT curious to know where it was.)
I also noticed that the max speed on auto setting does not reach same max as the manual maximum, but one step below.
I am wondering if I imagined it that when the car was new the max auto speed of wiper was same as manual.
The dealer said that the current situation is correct.
Any comments?
Thx DAS
"James O'Riley" <James@O'Riley.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:00:41 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Same here, from the get-go.
Kal