2002 S430 NAV Upgrade Options

I am new to upgrading my vehicle, so I apologize if this is a topic done over to death, but what are my upgrade options for the NAV system for a 2002
Is new hardware the best option? Is a software upgrade possible? Or should I just keep up to date on the most recent map CD's and stop worrying?
Thanks in advance, B