2003-2005 SL's

Thinking about getting a 03-05 SL. What issues should I be aware of when evaluating one of these beauties. I'm fairly skilled in upkeep. Been deep in cars all my life. The only thing I haven't done is rebuild an automatic transmission. So am not too concerned about labor. But very concerned about parts cost. I have heard that the rear leveling system is pretty dear. What other things will burn me if I'm not watching. Thanks for your help JB

99 E55 88 300E
Reply to
jb

I strongly recommends you have the dealer check out the actual car that you have decided to purchase before you actually buy it.

Yes, the self levelling system is a major issue because these cars does not have any springs for suspension nor sway bars... it actually relies on the computer to compensate via hydraulic and gyroscope.

The suspension/steering pump is a ton of money and so are each of the hydraulic unit at each corner...

Most common issue is the hydraulic hoses are weeping... simply grab the hoses if you can... if it is soaking, then those hoses needs to be rebuilt with new hoses and crimped by hydraulic hose shop... or if you want to spend a fortune... buy new hoses from dealer.

Let the dealer plug in the computer and do all the diagnostic tests... the computer are really detailed on condition of the system... particularly the suspension system. and everything else on the car.

Best to get the full service records too.

Reply to
Tiger