2003 CLK 55 AMG Oil Level ight

Hey all -

My girlfriend's mother bought the above referenced CLK55 AMG, and her oil level light keeps going on. I took a look at the thing, and even though it seems to be comsuming about 1/2 Qt. of oil every 700 miles, when I fill it the oil level light keeps coming on. It has been to the dealer several times to replace the sensor, which has been replaced in total at least twice, as well as the spring to the float in the pan (or so they told us). I'm going to go out on a ledge, and say that I don't think that the sensor is the problem.

Do you guys think that 1/2 Qt. oil every 700 miles is excessive? And do you have any opinions or ideas as to what could be causing the light to go on when the pan is full. It has been topped up with the speced Mobil 1 just FYI, and I had them change the oil completely out under the theory that the oil had become fouled somehow.

Any ideas?

-Howard

Reply to
Howard

Well I do not know much about the 55 engine but I have a couple of 3 liter E-Class cars with 250K+ miles, and they use less oil than that!

Does the oil light ever go out? Does it have high and low oil level alerts?

(even though its none of my business, with a CLK55 AMG, maybe you should make her your mother in-law :^)

Scott D.

Reply to
Scott D

I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to respond to this earlier, but I was drawn away from my computer unexpectedly.

Anyhoo, there is an update to this story. Apparently, the oil consumption WAS excessive as Mercedes is replacing the engine block. Yup, you read me right . . . the entire freaking block. I have no idea if this involves a crate engine from AMG or a dealer rebuild, but apparently whoever the "one guy" was who built the engine for AMG has been taken out back and shot, pursuant to his contract with the company involving penalty for error ;> . The girlfriend's mother is livid and Mercedes has only told her that it's being fixed and that's all. Other than that, they won't say anything and the dealer has stopped taking her calls. I'm trying to figure out what he did wrong . . . poorly honed cylinder walls, bad porting, who knows.

I thought that some folks might be interested in the story. -

Howard

Reply to
Howard

I wouldn't rule out incorrect break-in procedures which damaged the engine.

Reply to
rga

Oh, I think that if the dealership could have made a case for that they would have, however ,the compression test showed one extremely low cylinder, and when the engine was ripped down I heard something about a piston being incorrectly installed. I don't know how, but that was what I overheard while trolling around the dealership. The dealer is building a new engine and hopefully they will do a little better job than AMG did. What a mess for everyone.

-H

Reply to
Howard