2003 E320 v BMW

Greetings:

I'm anticipating the new BMW 530 as being overpriced. As an alternative, I believe I'd prefer a 2002 or 03 E320.

Any comments on the MB would be appreciated

Reply to
Jimmy G

If you are looking for a luxury car without the fun of the ultimate driving machine then I'd suggest the E-Class. If you want a car that is exciting to drive but not as luxurious and user friendly as the Benz then I'd suggest the 5-Series. Although these cars have very similar power ratings the BMW is going to be alot higher on the 'fun to drive' scale. Regarding pricing I think the standard E320 will be around $5k more than the standard new

5-Series. A small difference so I'd suggest going with your preference, performance or luxury.

-Adam

Reply to
mc

I have a 96 E320 and just gave it to my daughter to drive for a few years. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have had to replace the rear window regulators and that is it in 7 years! Still drives perfect. Not a rattle or squeak. Interior wears like iron. I wore out the front door grip inside after 5 years on the driver's side.

If I were looking for a used E though, I would look for a E430. The extra power is great and the mileage is just slightly worse. It also has a stiffer suspension due to active suspension in the front. I replaced my E320 with a

2003 E500 and although the new model is better in many ways, The old one is superior in chassis rigidity, quietness and smoothness of ride. It's also heavier.

Rob

Reply to
Vetluver

Although the BMW 5-Series is hardly unreliable I would have to say Mercedes is slightly more reliable.

-Adam

Reply to
mc

What would you recommend for someone 'on their way down?'

Harvey Louzon

The elevator? ;-) Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

Check out the resale values . You drive a BM on the way up and a MB when you arrive .

Reply to
Snark

Any Japanese car. "The ultimate driving appliance".

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Maybe, maybe not. A relative of mine has a '99 E class and a late model Toyota Avalon. Both he and his wife strongly prefer the Avalon. YMMV.

Harvey Louzon