2003 W211 E270 worn steering rack at 59000 miles !

After experinciong play in the steering for the last 4 weeks, my local (UK) dealer has diagnosed a worn steering rack. The car is 4 years old and only
covered 59000 miles.
Firstly how many miles would you expect the car to cover before the rack would normally require replacing, and secondly, MB have offered GBP1000 towards the GBP2200 repair cost. Is this a fair contribution ?
Jim
The steering play arose within the last four weeks? If so, there's something wrong here for a steering rack doesn't suddenly get worn. I'd suggest a second opinion, especially at those prices!
I owned a 210 for ten years and felt that the steering was sensitive as is appropriate for a "sports sedan" but was squirrelly when the front wheels' toe-in was out of adjustment. Then the car seemed to track first to one side then the other as irregularities in the road bed put added pressure first on one side (wheel) then the other.
Also, worn tires make any car less stable for they follow grooves in the roadway. Conversely, overinflated tires make the steering faster than normal and make it feel loose.
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.

Hello Again:
Looking up prices, brand new installed is about $3200 Canadian (no wonder we do such good business) our Mitchell Manual says about 2.7 hrs. R&I (remove & reinstall), WOW. Hope this is helpful and not confusing.
Don