2004 E320 4matic

I am considering picking up a 2004 E320 4matic with low mileage but am a bit uncertain because I've heard that Mercedes is having reliability issues with
their cars. I've done some random "polling" i.e. talk to people at gas stations, at the mall and I'm getting mixed signals (one fellow had just bought a new S600 4matic and the nav system doesn't work and the steering column had to be replaced - all within 6 weeks of owning the car). I'd appreciate if owners of the E320 2003 and newer could give me some feedback. The asking on the car is $40K so it is a substantial amount of $$ - I want to make an educated decision.
Thanks,
Jeff snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

I have a black 2004 E-320 (not 4matic) with about 8,000 miles on it. It has performed flawlesly! It is the nicest road car We have ever driven. While returning from Hilton Head Island, this summer, I was naping while my wife drove and the GPS track log showed some 97 mph stretches. She said it felt no different than at 60 mph and wanted to go faster. Not bad for a senior citizen's car.
We previously owned a 1994 C-280, a 1995 C5 Corvette and a 2000 C-230 Kompressor. The E is an absolutely elegant machine.
Mike