2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI Sedan

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI Sedan

Standard Features: Head Protection Curtain Side Head Curtain Airbags Located In Headliner Automatic Slip Control (ASR) All-Speed Traction Control Controlled By ABS and Engine Management AM/FM Radio With Seek, Scan, Speed Sensitive Volume, and 9 Speakers Total; In-Dash CD Player

And More about to know of 2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI Sedan at

james124

Great. I can have a CLK 350 for under 30 000 quid. Why can't I have that here in the UK?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Because we don't have a subsidised domestic car industry with which all the other importing manufacturers have to compete.

So they can charge pretty much what they want here, plus tax of course. But we pay it, if we didn't the wouldn't be in business.

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

So then all this noise about the World Trade Organization and dropping barriers to markets is not in conformance with reality?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

It's nonsense in reality.

The barriers are dropped until it starts effecting tax revenue, then whatever is effecting revenue has quotas applied to it, but in a stealthy way obviously.

Example, fuel had become so expensive in the UK that some UK hauliers that regularly did a Europe run were fitting large fuel tanks to the trucks, this enabled them to fill up in Europe at sensible prices, run the load back to the UK, run a load out to Europe and re fill.

Nothing wrong with this in a free trading Europe I hear you say, sure, the government slapped a maximum size on truck tanks so they had to refuel here, anything over the "legal" fuel tank size was classed as importing petrochemicals and duty was levied.....errr that's not what I call level.

Also the free trade between European countries has many exclusions, generally high taxation items in the UK, ciggies, any form of fuel etc.....

It's not a level playing field and it's really starting to hurt many UK business.

I'm an importer, I import Marble and limestone from Portugal and Spain, no limits on what I do thankfully and I can import duty free, but I use a German haulier as they can transport my goods cheaper than any UK firm, go figure.

I can't compete on price with marble and stone coming in from the far east, but the quality difference is so vast anyone that wants a quality product buys from a European importer like me, so it's not really effecting me that much.

Now if we actually had a car industry left in this country that produced quality vehicles, and these vehicles were price competitively, then Mercedes, BWM and Audi would have a harder time of it and need to reduce prices, but we don't so they effectively charge whatever they like. (or whatever they can get people to pay).

But this is all relative to volume, many of these car companies would not exist with sales in the USA, they couldn't sustain the business, so the American market is looked at as a whole. They sell more units, so they can sell them for less and still make a sizeable sum of money at the end of it.

If I get an enquiry for marble and a customer wants 50sq/m then they are going to pay a whole lot more per sq/m than the contractor that wants to buy a container full from me, 1000sq/m. Is that fair? well not really actually, but it's basic supply and demand and a free market economy. So at the end of the day, as long as make enough money it becomes less important what percentage of my turnover is profit as long as what's left is the right amount..

Alan M.

- of your in the slightest bit curious.

:-)

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Thank you for the link, I am more than slightly curious.

Especially since I recently read a while back that Updown Court has a marble driveway.

I am a bit skeptical that a mere 40,000 square foot house can be worth 70 million pounds, That house is only about 30 miles from your business so I assume you know what I am talking about.

Those pastry boards looked like they would make great gifts.

And just to be on topic, will a marble driveway last under the weight of a large Mercedes?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

This is news to me. I know about cars and aeroplanes (where you still have to pay the delivery country's VAT).

Perhaps you are confusing limits with guidelines? The free movement of TAX-PAID booze, tobacco etc is for personal use only, so if one exceeds the guidelines all EU countries (AFAIK) are entitled to ask for proof that it still is for personal use.

One UK example given is "a daughter's wedding" and, ironically, an acquaintance of mine did just that some years ago. Did a day trip to Paris from London and loaded his car up with wine, far exceeding the guidelines for two persons (wife in car, too). He was stopped by HM Customs and let through on production of evidence for the forthcoming wedding.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

There is small print available in the law to allow C&E to do pretty much whatever they want, effectively the duty of proof is with you and not with them. The opposite of what we understand in normal law.

They can seize what they like, you then have to prove it's use, quite difficult.

Alan M.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Sure, it will all be bespoke slab so it can be manufactured to any thickness required.

However it's probably marble cobbles or something similar as a polished or honed marble drive would be as smooth as the bowling alley that's in the basement of this residence.

Oh and don't think of it as a home, it's more a private hotel, it's got five swimming pools for heavens sake!

Apparently it's a statement house, I'd probably make a different statement with £70 million, most of them would be red and Italian and at lest 40 years old..:-)

Alan M.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

I thought that C & E recently had their knuckles rapped for heavy-handedness at the ports.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I do not understand the bowling alley. It does not seem to be the kind of thing the target demographic would find attractive. I thought bowling was a USA only activity. Whoever buys that house will probably rip it out as fast as they can.

What is wrong with a smooth driveway? That would look kind of cool. Plus it would force people to drive slowly.

The house does look like a hotel from the front, But it is so small it would really just be a very nice Bed and Breakfast.

At least you would be able to park the Maybach under the front awning and not get wet.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I do not understand the bowling alley. It does not seem to be the kind of thing the target demographic would find attractive. I thought bowling was a USA only activity. Whoever buys that house will probably rip it out as fast as they can.

What is wrong with a smooth driveway? That would look kind of cool. Plus it would force people to drive slowly.

The house does look like a hotel from the front, But it is so small it would really just be a very nice Bed and Breakfast.

At least you would be able to park the Maybach under the front awning and not get wet.

.

Some Russians will probably buy it, So far I don't think anyone English has looked at it anyhow.

Never mind what it costs to buy, can you imagine what the running costs would be.

Russians are the new Arabs when it comes to money, more than 200,000 of them living in central London now and Moscow now has more Billionaires than any other city on the planet.

I imagine it'll be Upski Downski Court soon...:-)

Alan M.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

I have a 10-pin bowling alley down the road from me and I have been there to bowl! And I don't live in the USA...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I stand corrected!

.

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Your article refers, in the penultimate paragraph, to Europeans bringing their own version of bowling to the US...

My local (no good pics, unfortunately):

Pretty popular in Germany, too. And, I am guessing here, probably in other European countries and elsewhere.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling