220 CDI engines?

Hi. I was in touch with a gentleman on this group who had seen a problem with the intake manifold on several high mileage 220 CDI engines.
Quote "I agree, they are excellent. Starting to replace inlet manifolds
around the 150k mark though as they are coking up and starting to cause a smoking problem. Not a cheap repair....."
If anyone knows anything about this or other problems I would love to know about them. And also I wonder if this is 150k Miles or Kilometres?? My E220 CDI has just turned 140k Km's so maybe it is in the dangerzone???
Thanks Steinar
this is a notorious problem with VW TDI engines. you can (on VW) dial down the EGR so it doesn't put so much soot into the intake.
not sure about the solution on an MB.
check out fred's tdiclub.com - maybe you can find a solution based on those.