220D gas mileage

I've been looking into buying a older Benz as a daily driver... 1970-75(?) ..I like that bodystyle, 4dr etc.. how much gas mileage do they get? I wouldnt want a v8 as I'm looking for the most mpg...
-Alex

The 220D was made from '68 to '73. It is capable of around 43mpg.
The 240D offers a much-needed increase in horsepower while achieving the same fuel economy.
You will want a manual tranny with either one of these.
As another data point, the big heavy turbocharged 300SD late 70's to 1980 gets about 25 MPG overall.