220Sb Information

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 220Sb or SEb and wondered if anyone could recommend sources of information on the web, websites mailing lists etc etc and sources for parts on the web or in Australia/New Zealand.

Cheers splam

Reply to
splam

splam wrote in news:Xns9497D20A04152xsplamhotmailcom@202.20.93.13:

Okay - well I bought it and it's a 1963 in slightly faded red... so any info would be great!

Thx, Splam

Reply to
splam

splam wrote in news:Xns9498E553FC912xsplamhotmailcom@

202.20.93.13:

First, take a look at

Second, it is really important that your (3) rear suspensiom mount busings have no play whatsoever in them. If they do, change them immediately. The cars stability depends on it.

BTW, which model you end up with?

Reply to
George Mann

George Mann wrote in news:Xns94982399D6B7Cgmannricochetcom@206.124.0.13:

Cool thanks!

It's a 1964 220Sb ( the later version with disc brakes at the front ). Manual shift on the column woohoo! And a speedometer that reads only in miles, so I suspect it was made for the UK and then exported to New Zealand. And comes in that lovely deep red - or did 40 years ago.

It seems to like to stall when you have the lights, but also seems to do a bit of misfiring, it might be that the tension the generator creates is not enough for the fully operation cylinders at idle.

I've come from driving a 1978 Mini ( what can I say I like cars with personality ) so it's a little mad to drive in comparison!

Are there any alternatives to MB's 100$us Workshop Manual? I'm sure it's worth every dollar - it's just insanely expensive when you work out the cost in $NZ.

Cheers, splam

Reply to
splam

splam wrote in news:Xns9499579C09FDExsplamhotmailcom@202.20.93.13:

It could also be faulty ignition components. Replace the stator (pickup) on the generator first.

Only aftermarket manuals with limited coverage.

Reply to
George Mann

George Mann wrote in news:Xns94992A6868F7gmannricochetcom@206.124.0.13:

Hrm, the generator was overhauled only a few months ago - and when the engine is running the unit kicks out a healthy 13-14 volts.

I suspected as much! :(

Reply to
splam