240 Parts or Project Car

My 82 240D 220k miles automatic trans which has been my daily driver for the past 2 years is stuck in reverse. After consulting a mechanic, transmission shop and looking at pricing and considering the condition
the car is in i've decided against repairing it. The enginge has good compression, new water pump , new thermostat, new ac compressor, 1 year old glowplug relay. The cars body is in bad shape, but definately repairable.
The car's title shows that the odometer had stopped working at some point during ownership of one of the past 2 owners (I am the 3rd owner). It is the belief of the mercedes mechanic i go to and myself that the cars mileage is off by a maximum of 15k miles.
The car drives perfectly fine in reverse and untill about a month ago took me wherever i wanted. I have driven this car to Atlanta twice in the past 6 months (700 miles round trip) without a hitch.
I bought the car when i was 16 with $800. It will start in normal cold weather with 2 turns of the glowplugs (20 -30) below that may require multiple turns. I let the car run about 30 mins once a week in order to keep it in healthy condition.
Any questions/parts requests just reply to this message or drop me an e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com.
Thanks, Mitch Knight

Ever seen the movie based on Sherman Alexie's book, :Smoke Signals"? It's Alexie's take on reservation life in the USA. Anyhow, there are two crazy girls in it (kind of as comic relief from the other heavy messages in the movie) who own this 65 Chevy Malibu that is stuck in reverse. Doesn't stop those girls. They have places to go and things to do and "The Rez" is too big to walk where they need to go. So they drive the car backwards. Every day, all the time.
That's what I think you should do: just drive it backwards.
HTH
raoul