240D 5 speed conversion

I have a 1980 240D manual 4-spd. I love the car but wish I didn't rev so high at highway speeds. Is there a 5-spd that fits and how difficult is it. I am pretty handy with a wrench.

People have cobbled together all sorts of 5 speeds to 240s. You can use a Mercedes one (good luck finding it) or adapt, allegedly, a Supra 5 speed wiht a custom bellhousing.
Any old Mercedes 5 speed can be made to work. That's a lot easier than finding one.

What about the 5 speeds from 190's? One would think that they are basically the same tranny, plus pretty easy to find. Am I wrong on this one?
Herb 1977 W123 200D (Used to be a 220D and used to be red)

That's the easiest one to find. And it'll work.

It won't work because the starter is on the wrong side and it's a completely different box...

Swap the bellhousing. Sombody's done it. You want bolt-up you have to find the original 5 speed for that cat. Rotsa ruck.

It's got a one piece bellhousing and the input shafts are different...

Got a saw?
Ok so you DON'T want to use that one. Back to fiding a side loader from a 108 or 123. Best of luck!