240D advice please!

Am about to go and see a 240D 1982 Merc.Estate and am not sure about buying a diesel car. Do the engines clog up more than petrol? It has done 108k miles.

Thanks in advance for any advice forthcoming. Janine.

Reply to
Janine Rainforth
108k is just run in for a merc diesel. IF it has been well looked after. they are superb engines, and will run for many many thousands of miles without trouble IF you maintain it correctly. if the seller has a full service record, then all the better. if not, try and find how well the servicing has been adhered to. diesel engines do not 'clog up' any more than petrol engines, although the sump oil of a diesel will usually seem dirtier because it becomes quickly contaminated with particulates. for this reason, oil change intervals for diesels are usually shorter than for petrol variants.

Reply to
atwifa

A 240D is a slow car, it's under powered compared to contemporary cars. If you drive on country lanes in a relatively flat (vs. hilly) area it will be satisfactory, otherwise, look elsewhere. 68 HP is simply too little to accelerate a 3,300 lb car; its 0 to 60 MPH time is about 19 seconds, about twice the time of contemporary cars which are one's "competition" on the road.

But don't blame its being a diesel, the engine is simply too small. I suggest you consider a 300D Turbo which makes 120 HP and is, like the

240D, a simple, durable and reliable engine.

These old diesels ought to get: oil & filter change every 5K miles, valve adjustment every 15K miles, air & fuel filters and automatic transmission fluid & filter change every 30K miles.

Find a clean car without rust that has this maintenance history; its engine and transmission should have a 250K to 300K useful life - deduct its present mileage and you see how much life remains before an overhaul will be needed. Avoid poorly maintained, beat up cars for as "cheap" as they may be to buy they're the most expensive used M-B that one can buy.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

If you live in Europe, true.

In the US, crappy diesel fuel with water is sold and lichen then can grow and clog the system to a standstill, unless an additive is added regularly. Without treatment, the tank gradually fills with a seaweed-like plant.

Sd

Reply to
Sundog

I had a W123 200D from new in 1980, i.e. in the 'bad old days' of sulfur-laden fuel. I don't recollect any engine problems of any sort after the two years or so I had it. I don't remember my mileage, but it was above average as my job required me to do lots of driving.

I had never heard of other contaminants such as excessive water, in diesel fuel.

I agree that 100 000 miles is just nicely run in, but there could be other problems nothing to do with the engine being diesel. The average mileage is low so the car could have had a lot of wear and tear throughout its life or at least at some stage.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling