240D Clutch... Or Transmission...?

I fear the clutch in my 1983 240D is giving up. Most of the time, I have no problem shifting into or out of any gear. But on occasion, the clutch refuses to fully disengage, making it difficult to select first gear when stopped. This is an intermittent problem, sometimes going days without a reoccurrence. At 175,000 miles, clutch failure doesn't seem out of line but should I also consider a syncro or linkage problem with the transmission? And how do I determine which is the more likely? __________________________ Onto

Reply to
Onto

This is a hydraulically activated clutch - there is no "linkage. Does the pedal have proper free play? Is the master clutch cylinder filled with fluid ( I forget whether or not it uses the same reservoir as the brake master cylinder)? Any leaks around the slave cylinder?

Just some things to check before one goes digging further...

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Took the car in today and everything checked out fine... The tech said that letting the car sit for as long as three months may have something to do with the above-mentioned problem... I don't understand that but the car's back in service now and I plan to use it more frequently... __________________________ Onto

Reply to
Onto