240D door lock problem

Hi all,
First time posting here. I have a quirky door lock problem on my 1980 240D.
- Vacuum system seems to work. I can lock and unlock all of the door
from the *inside* by pushing down/pulling up on the driver's side lock button.
-The driver's side does not lock or unlock with the key.
-The passenger's side will not lock with the key but *will* unlock with the key. This doesn't do me much good, since I can't lock the doors with the doors open and leaving a window open doesn't do me much good, obviously.
- The trunk locks and unlocks with the key.
I'd thought that the door handle's lock cylinders may be worn out or corroded so I pulled the door handle assembly off the passenger side. The key moves the lock tumbler freely when it's pulled from the door. I tried to lock the door using a screwdriver inserted into the lock mechanism's "reciever" (for lack of a better word) inside the door frame. No good.
Any insight? Possibly the lock mechanism may "think" the door is open when I try to turn the key? I'm stumped as to why the lock button would work but not the lock cylinder.
Thanks, BG
Some ideas. First the mechanism on the passenger side is stuck for some reason. Look to see what the lock cylinder actuates and follow it to the latch.
A quick and dirty idea would be to take the passenger lock handle and put it on the drivers side so you can lock and unlock the doors. You may have to reverse the cams on the back of the lock. This can be tricky on some models so you might want to enlist the services of your local locksmith.
--

Roger Shoaf

Hi Roger,
Thanks for the reply. I pulled the driver's side handle and it turns out I needed a new lock cyliner on the drivers side. Something is stuck inside... a previous owner may have broken a key off in there. In any case, I am having a locksmith setup a new cylinder for my key.
Now, on to my cruise control problem....