240D MGP question

Page 1 of 2
I'm shopping and am told to expect 30-34mpg on a 1983 240D. Is this about right. I need a eco car for the hwy. Thanks.

I have an '81 240D with stick and A/C. About the best I get is 22-24 on the highway...and for a 4-cyl, it's no slug.
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:55:33 GMT, "The earnest one"
had to open a new box of zerones to say:

My 83 240D manual gets between 29 and 31 MPG at 75 MPH on Interstate type roads... Something may be amiss with your car...
<! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- > zenit

about
the
I've always thought so but where does one start looking?
<snip> I have an '81 240D with stick and A/C. About the best I get is 22-24 on

Try looking in the mirror for starters...
Marty
Where do you live Earnest? If you live in high altitude area with hilly road, then it would be alright...

About 100 feet above sea level near Oceanside, CA (God's country).
Mmm... nope... I was thinking more like a mile high Denver Colorado thing... Yep, your fuel mileage is a bit too low. Start with basic...diesel injection timing...diesel purge (sort of like fuel injection cleaner)... and go from there on...
Mmm... nope... I was thinking more like a mile high Denver Colorado thing...
Maybe it is the diesel fuel you are using... is it Biodiesel out there? I heard other type of diesel fuel has less fuel economy.

thing...
Nope. Same thing the diesel trucks use. I even tried some red-dye off road diesel and it was virtually the same. I also use three or four different stations. No bio-diesel here that I've been able to find.

Air Filter? Draging parking brake? Shifting into high gear properly? Driving habits?
My '79 240 ran around 22-26 MPG (U.S.) it's whole life, with two different drivers, different areas. I would think 30-34 MPG is a little optimistic.
Rochelle
L A Davenport wrote:

I have a friend who received 29 -30 mpg in his '79 240D for nearly 400,000 miles. He also received 28 mpg in his '81 300D.
I have never done much better than 23 mpg in the two 123 body 300D mercedes I've owned. One is a non-turbo and the other is a '85 turbo. I've rebuilt the engine in my non-turbo but it still gets 23 mpg.
Writes:

mercedes
rebuilt the

I also have a 300D and it also gets only 20-21, mostly driven around town but never better than that on long trips either.

A 240D, Manual, without AC should do something around 30MPG, where I am talking about British Imperial gallons and statute miles. Do your own conversion....
The US gallon is smaller that the British gallon, not sure about the miles.
--
All the best,
Stubbsy.

If you read my post, I said that I was unsure as to whether the US mile was the same as the Imperial (British) mile or not : not knowing implies that I do not have any pre-conceptions about the thing, as you imagine I might. I do know what a nautical mile is: it is a minute of arc around a great circle. That is not the same thing as a statute or Imperial mile.
The British mile is 1760 yards.
The US gallon and the Imperial gallon I know to be different, the British gallon being a larger volume
I only mentioned this uncertainty, as it would reflect a difference in MPG figures that might, in fact, be much the same if the conversion factors between US and imperial were worked in.
This seems to be a transatlantic group, and I thought that my comment was worth including for those who were unaware of the difference in volume between the US and British gallons.
But, if it helps you to feel ok, then carry on taking the piss out of well-meant posts.
--
All the best,
Stubbsy.

It would seem to be not quite gentle enough.
Indeed, the sensitive soul...
DAS