280 se starting problem

Hey everyone. I have a 1980 280 se 6 cyl. One problem that is percistent with it is that it does not always start. When the ignition key is turned nothing happens it doesnot even turn over but the dashboard lights go on. I have had the same problem with my 300D and could never figure it out. The only way it ever starts is after I move the gears from Park to Neutral back and forth and after a while it starts its like a lottery. Some days it just starts right up from the first try. Has anyone had this problem before and can give me an advice on what could be wrong with it?

Reply to
vic

The transmission's Neutral safety switch needs to be adjusted or replaced.

Motor should start in P or N.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Change your Neutral safety switch. or you may have to change the bushings for the transmission gear selector... if too much play, position of the switch will not be in the right position to allow you to start. Do you have alot of play in the gear selector?

Reply to
Tiger