300 D Motor Mounts

300D motor mounts changed and--engine shaking problem solved. Old mounts were completely shot, and engine was stting on frame. The shop that had done my engine rebuild lied when they said they had changed
them. The engine now purrs softly at slow idle the way it should. It only took two years and about $8,500 to get it there.
I am glad... but $8500 for a $30 parts is just not right!
That's about 1/3 the price of a new Prius and you have a hell of a lot better car. I had a rented Prius in Minnesota last week and I was sure glad to get back into my 300 TDT when I got back to Las Vegas. I went on a field trip with our local museum on Saturday to view some rock art at a site south of here and a lady who was on the trip and an acquaintance of my girlfriend was parked next to us at the site and when we were eating lunch back at the cars she expressed admiration for my car and told us the story of their family's 300 TDT that they loved so much and "should never have sold." She asked if I would sell her mine and I told her I would add her name to the list of people who want to buy the car should I ever decide to sell it. I have another friend who lives here now but is from Nicaragua. He used to have a 300 TDT when he lived in Managua and he has been asking me for years if he can buy mine.
It took me a couple of years, also because of motor mounts, to get my 300 TDT running smoothly after Metric remanufactured the engine. It was my own fault because I did the work of removing and replacing the engine. I thought I put in new mounts, but somehow in my excitement to get the new engine in I forgot to do it.
But I think Metric honored their warranty better than the place you dealt with so I got a really carefully rebuilt and adjusted new injection pump and a newly balanced set of injectors for free so that my engine is running so smoothly that it only bumped at idle when one of the mounts was completely broken. Now that the mounts are new it is as smooth and quiet as it must have been in 1982 when it was new. Also, I am getting amazing fuel economy. I got 36 MPG crossing from the Owens Valley to Pahrump, NV via Death Valley last week, which is unheard of. It was the sound of the engine that triggered the woman's memory Saturday of their old 300 TDT that she missed so much.
Sometime I might have to get mine repainted. I think the left front fender was smashed before I bought the car in 1992 and the repair shop paint is really getting faded and chipped. The right rear was smashed by an idiot driving one of those big wheel pickups in Las Vegas about 10 years ago and I took the car to the most expensive shop in Vegas that specializes in Porsches and Rolls Royces and Bentleys and other extravagant luxury cars because the other guy's insurance was paying for it and the paint from that place seems to be holding up like the original paint from Mercedes so if I do get it painted I will probably have it done there. When I was in that shop a guy came in who had a scratch on the fender of his Rolls and it was going to cost $14,000 to have the scratch repaired.