300 or 350 SDL - which is best?

My 300SDL is in litigation and not likely to be running for a LONG time. I want to replace it. Which is better, the early '90s 350SDL or the late '80's 300SDL? What should I look for? Why is one better than the other?

Clay

Reply to
Redghost

The 300SDL from 86-87 had an excellent engine. I have the 87 300TD wagon which has the same engine. With 215,000 miles it's still going strong. The weak point on that engine was the trap oxidizer which was a free replacement under recall at MB dealerships. Otherwise with routine maintenance it will last a long time.

In contrast the 350SDL engine was a nightmare. It has well-documented problems with bending of the connecting rods over time resulting in occasional catastrophic failure of the engine and/or excessive oil consumption. I'd avoid the early

90's 6-cylinder diesels.
Reply to
jav

You want another 6? THat's pretty brave. The 300SDL's are a bit more durable than the 350s; if the 350 has the new upgraded con rods it's ok, but keep in mind you can really NEVER overhear either. Once ansd they could be toast.

The 5 cyl engines are way more durable.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work