300 SD ignition switch frozen

84 300SD. Ignition switch worked just fine for 20 years. Today, it will not turn. Does not feel funny and gave no warning. I am told that I need to get it
to turn just one more time so the lock can be changed easily. If not, its a big labor job.
How do I get one more turn out of it?

Get some WD-40. Stick the straw into the keyhole, give it a good blast, and let it sit for an hour or two so that the stuff can penetrate before putting the key in and trying to turn it.
Geoff
--
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows
with a high-powered rifle and scope." -- P.J. O'Rourke
snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) wrote in writes:

I don't know if I would put wd40 in it. I put graphite powder, used for worn locks. It comes in a small tube and you squirt it in the ignition. It fills in the worn areas and, and least for me, worked. Held up for 2 weeks until I replaced the lock. -Steve

Graphite works great as a preventative measure, but the original poster said the lock wouldn't turn. Since graphite is a powder, it doesn't have the ability to penetrate into the crevices of a stationary mechanism like a liquid would. (I'd have suggested penetrating oil, but since ignition locks are horizontal, that wouldn't have been practical. Something with pressure behind it was called for.)
In any case, the original poster said that the lock was going to be replaced, and that it only needed to turn one more time in order to make that possible.
I've used WD-40 in locks for years with no problem, both instead of graphite and alternating with the use of it.
Geoff
--
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows
with a high-powered rifle and scope." -- P.J. O'Rourke
I got it to turn one more time. A locksmith then removed the tumbler. I am now waiting for parts. Here in Montana, everything is a special order.
I followed Geoff's advice and flooded the lock with WD40. I would not ordinarily do this. But I knew I was going to replace the mechanism. After a half hour of random fidgiting, I got a turn. Then I had to disconnect the battery and call the locksmith.
The poster that recommended strong vibration is correct. The locksmith said he has done this with a concrete vibrator wrapped in a towel pressed against the steering column. The only vibration device I could find around my home was just too weak and the batteries were dead.
Thanks everyone--
The final alternative is to either drill it out or do the old carthief's method of a large screwdriver and a pair of Vise-Grips or Channel-Locks. They both work, but you'll have to replace ALL the hardware. BTDT... :-(
Geoff Miller wrote:

--
PC Paul
89 PC800
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I read somewhere about a guy with an MB with a similar problem who used some machine that caused a vibration (like a sanding machine?). While 'vibrating' the steering column with the machine he got one more turn out of it.
Ximinez