300 SD Kickdown Question

My 300SD doesn't seem to kickdown readily. Is this normal?
It downshifts fine with speed, but it doesn't kick down when I put my foot on it.

"kick down" is activated via a button switch under the accelerator. So it's activated only when the driver floors the accelerator.
A diesel engine doesn't have the quick acceleration of a gas engine so don't have unrealistic expectations of it. These were designed for economy and for a 55 mph world, today they're adequate for most driving but they're definitely not 2005 MY sports sedans.

Funny, if I'm in third going up a hill it'll shift down even though I'm not flooring it.

Adjust the cable.
WHAT YEAR IS YOUR 300SD????
The 116 body 300SD uses a transmission overload control unit mounted in the right kick panel for kick down, it is tied to the button under the gas pedal..
The 126 body 300SD does not. It uses the throttle pressure cable.
More info from YOU will get YOU more info.....