300 SD Window gears problem

My son has a 1980 Mercedes 300 SD. In making repairs to problematic windows I noticed that the one on the drives side is slipping between two large gears as if one of them needs to slide over about an 1/8" or so. There
doesn't appear to be anyway to move the gears. Does anyone know a method to get them aligned?