300 SDL passenger window stuck open

The passenger side window in my 1986 300SDL is 1/2 open and won't operate. Also, just before starting the car, there is a new buzzing noise sounding like it is coming from behind the glove compartment. I checked and replaced the fuses already. I notice there is a draw on the electrical system when I press the window's button so the button is probably ok but the window doesn't budge and there is no sound from the window motor. Finally it is extremely cold suddenly after a bit of wet weather so that might have something to do with it. Thanks for any suggestions as to what the problem is,

-- Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The switch that you press activates a relay - somewhere - which powers the window regulator (motor). If you're lucky, the relay is shot and $25 or $30 will fix it, otherwise the door must be opened and the regulator replaced. My 116 needed a regulator, also its aluminum window tracks replaced as they were bent.

If you can locate the relay - possibly at the site of the buzzing - there may be other, identical relays nearby - for other windows, sunroof etc. that you can swap and so determine which is the defective relay and close the window if the problem is only in the relay or, learn that the regulator is the problem.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach