300 SDL Window Regulator missing teeth

Hi Folks,
The window regulator on the driver's side is busted on my 86 300SDL -- several teeth are missing so the window does not go all the way up. I ordered a new
one, but am wondering how easy it is to replace the regulator. My mechanic says to do it myself because his time is expensive. The motor is accessible enough, but the regulator seems to be encased inside the metal door housing, so is it possible to replace it just by removing the inside door panel, or do I have to dismantle the entire door? Thanks,
-- Jeff
The whole unit comes out easily after three nuts/bolts to remove. The white regulator slide will simply slide off the track once you get the entire unit loose.