300 TE-24 Problems

Hi!
Iīm driving a 300 TE-24 from 1992.
The car doesnīt like standing around much, so to speak. :]
I just drive it occasionly, so it gets to stand around quite alot. At
first, the problems would only occur if it was parked for a week, but now itīs enough with three to four days of standing still:
It will start perfectly, showing no signs whatsoever of what is to come (sneaky car, it shure is!), but after about 10 minutes of driving it starts to "hack" on low revs. Not responding as it should when I put down the speeder (lightly). Now if I stop at a light and carefully try to go, it will go out. Once the motor has stopped it takes forever to get it running again. I have to wait about 15 minutes between the startattemps and in about an hour I will have succeded in getting it running again. (Itīs quite cold here in Denmark at this time of year so this is not a very amusing thing to do!) At this point I take it for a ride. Letting the motor come to itīs right running temperature and then I will start to drive it quite hard "to clean" it out. This "helps". It gets better and better, but even after driving it around for 30-40 minutes it will "hang" at about 6000 RPMīs. For example: I push the accelerator full down and after some "stuttering" it revs up and goes like it should, almost, but only up to about 6000 RPMīs where it "hangs" and "tries" to go beyond that since I still have the accelerator full down. After having driven it around for these 30-40 minutes I park it. And it will run fine the next morning, almost not showing any signs of problems. This procedure I have to do the evening before if I want it to run somewhat reliable to work the next morning, that is if it hasnīt been driven in three to four days. I donīt need to say that this starts to get annoying and itīs a time and fuel consuming, freakish cold, game.
This car has most probably been treated very badly by itīs previous owner, and my dad, who owns the car hasnīt had it serviced for the last 3 years. (He is also terrible car owner, fuel is the only thing he gives his cars, shhh, donīt say anything)
Now Iīm not going to do a complete motor rebuild, something that is most probably needed, but I am looking for an easy way out, an "light" answer on what the problem could be. Myself, I presume that this problems stems from the fuelinjector beeing clogged/dirty, and I have tried with those supermarketfluids that apparantly should help with those issues, but with no result whatsoever. Maybe I can do something easy, like changing sparkplugs? Itīs not my car and I just want to keep it running so I can get to work twice a week and do the weekly foodshopping.
This problem never came up when my dad had the car, since he drove it every day.
I would be grateful for any answer (here in the newsgroup or by mail) that might help me fixing this problem myself, even if it only temporary. A proper service is what is needed, that I shure know.
Sincerely,
Niclas _______________________
IRIX forever. Tezro is in the Game! Silicon Graphics, if you want some real work done.
Add pictures here
✖
Just curious... did you change the fuel filter? Also, you might have water in the fuel lines, but I doubt it... try draining the fuel and refilling maybe.
Wish I had a better answer! Good luck Mike

Add pictures here
✖
wush...could be many things... i just had exactly that...i looked everywhere it was the ignition an ignition wire fooled me, though reading when measuring impedance was ok... joints were corroded when cold...perfekt...when warm-hot...sputtering replaced spark plugs, cap and rotor - no difference replaced also wires... now perfectly fine
ps whats the mileage? of course it might be something else, but after 3 years with just gas...there are many places to look

Add pictures here
✖
Alex Hemmerich wrote:

Well, Alex, itīs just like that. When cold, good and then after a few kmīs it dies on low revs. But *only* if it has been standing for a few days. If I drive it daily, it will show no signs whatsoever of all these "hidden" problems. The poor neglected thing has managed 247.000 kmīs so far. But when driven daily it goes like a rocket, *ahem* considering itīs weight :]
Mike: Well, actually. I have almost drained the tank before refilling, not because I wanted to, but because I needed to. (gas i expensive here ;] ...maybe some bad stuff laying around on the bottom of the tank now had a chance to come to the motor/injection?
I havenīt changed/done anything. I came to the smart conclusion that I might ask some news-gurus of hints/suggestions of what to do before I do anything, considering my almost nonexistent studentbudget.
Niclas _______________________
IRIX forever. Tezro is in the Game! Silicon Graphics, if you want some real work done.
Add pictures here
✖
There may be a bit of water in the fuel system that freezes and blocks the fuel flow, add alcohol, not the drinking kind, to the fuel. Likewise, the fuel filter may be dirty and limiting the fuel flow.
There's also a devil of a relay that can cause strange things like the ones you describe. This relay is called the "over voltage relay" I'd check it before doing much else, if only to eliminate it as a possible cause. Others may agree - or not.
And don't "clean it out" That wastes fuel and isn't necessary, fix the problem.
Add pictures here
✖
"T.G. Lambach" wrote:

Ahh, you mean 96% C2H5OH? How much of it?

hmm. ok. Is the fuelfilter easy to find? How does it look?

Well, it shure wastes fuel and you are absolutely right: It does not fix the problem. But Iīll be able to go to work the next morning without beeing stuck at the third red light with a bunch of cars behind me. :] I will fix it! *promise* ;]
IRIX forever. Tezro is in the Game! Silicon Graphics, if you want some real work done.
Add pictures here
✖

it's located under the car, in the back, close to the fuel tank behind a plastik cover next to the fuel pump (for the sedan...but I'm sure u will find it under your T as well) looks like an aluminum capsule, the size of a screw on oil filter but with fuel lines going in and out
MB calls for it to be replaced every 60.000 KM
I don't do it that often, but I do it. personally...I don't think the fuel filter is your problem... if u were in some other country...maybe
good luck, alex
Add pictures here
✖