300 TE auto box - stuck in forward gear

Hello,

I have been offered a 1991, 300TE - looks good, engine sweet (105,000 genuine miles) one elderly owner. Problem is that it is stuck in forward gear, owner says 3rd. but I don?t know. Shift moves OK but it stays in gear even in park position but park does lock. Anyone know whether this is a common "simple" problem, like linkage or vacuum etc or could it be an expensive one. I am a reasonable amateur mechanic and I have rebuilt a torqueflight box (some years ago and with instruction manual and overhall kit) but auto-boxes are not my strong point.

Thanks Max

Reply to
ukmax

How does the engine start if the transmission is stuck in gear? And how does it hold Park if it's also in gear? These don't compute.

Suggest you reduce the offered price by the cost of a M-B factory rebuilt transmission and then investigate, hoping the problem is minor. No other buyer will do more.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach