300CD transmission repair gone bad

I own a 1980 300CD with 268,000 miles on it. It's my daily commuter car. I still love the car after rebuilding the engine myself at 208,000 miles. The car runs great but only in the forward gears

I had my automatic transmission rebuilt by a shop at 257,000 miles. It was back into the shop six times in the first 4,000 miles because reverse gear would go out completely. The car was in the transmission shop a total of two months while they tried to get it fixed during those six attempts. The shop told me that I had a broken reverse servo piston pin the second time the car went back into the shop. I was given no explaination as to why the transmission keeps going out. Well, today reverse gear went away once again. I have a three year/36,000 mile warranty on the transmission but this is beyond silly. I probably could have rebuilt it myself and had better luck. Any suggestions?

Reply to
VCopelan

I'd tell them to either fix it or I'd take the car to the M-B dealer and sue them for the repair cost under their warranty. They've had (more than) their chance to make it right.

I once owned a '79 280E when its reverse gear quit after about 35K miles. About $350+ later (in the early '80s) some plastic part was to blame.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

They keep fixing it but the fix doesn't last. The last time they had the car was in September '03. It first went into the transmission shop in April '03. At this rate, I'll be having transmission repair done every four months for the next two years at which point the warranty will run out.

Reply to
VCopelan

Not sure if the Calif law covers you in an independent shop but..... for each day [not counting the

1st day] your car is in a dealership for a warranty repair, that time is added to the end of the 4 years your car is covered. So, theoretically, if this trans problem happened during the time of the new car warranty, you would add 2 months on to the 4 years [but then again, you would have screamed lemon long ago]. You might check into this and see if it applies to your independent warranty...... At least you have a nice right side mirror:)
Reply to
Karl