300CDT tranny no worky

Hi All,
I have a 1982 CDT w/ 240k miles that ran & drove strong until about a month ago, when the tranny began to slip when taking off in "L".
It continued accellerate from a stationary in "2" & "D" until it began slipping in these gears 2 days ago. Now it will only move in "R".
I read from this group (Jerome Kaidor, 5/28/2000) about verifying the vacuum system works (it does @ 19 psi), and that the vacuum control valve works (it does w/ about 12psi @ idle & decreasing as RPMs increase).
I turned modular pressure adjuster one clockwise rotation & the car seemed to be cured.
Three (San Francisco) city blocks later, it was back to square one; no forward propulsion.
Is it likely further modular pressure increase will help, or am I describing a tranny in the thros of death?
I'd like to test the modular pressure, but am unsure where to attach the guage.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Do a Google search for B2 servo or piston. Some sites discuss its symptoms and replacement.
Thanks, will do.
http://articles.mbz.org/transmission /
B2 piston replacement article is here.
Thanks for the good news. Will let you know how it goes. C.