300ce shakes, acts like it will stall

A while back my 91 300ce started "shaking" when trying to accelerate uphill. Instead of revving up when stepping on the gas, it would just hold back and shake like it wasn't getting enough power.
Now it's gotten so bad that it shakes whenever it's in gear, and even in neutral it does so a bit. I have replaced the ignition control unit, the blower, and had the tranny flushed. I am going to take it to my mechanic, but I would like to get an idea of what could be causing this so that it will save us both time. Could a bad cat converter be the problem? Fuel pump? The underside has been rattling for a long time but my mechanic has never made mention of it. Thanks for your input.
Appears to be fuel starvation. The maximum fuel demand is during acceleration and hill climbing.
Little late to go to a mechanic after replacing the ignition control unit, the blower - as if THAT had anything to do with the problem - and a transmission flush - another waste of $$.
When was the fuel filter last replaced? I'd start there and if a new filter doesn't fix it, go through the fuel system from there.
Happier New Year
I have not ever replaced the fuel filter. I'll definitely check that first. How often should the fuel filter be replaced?
The ignition control, blower, and tranny flush were just a side note of what I have had done to the vehicle since I've had it. They are not related to the problem but I should have made that clearer.
Thank you for your expertise and I appreciate any more help you and others are willing to provide!
Fuel filter cycle is 40K to 60K miles.
Strongly suggest you get the maintenance schedule for this car and follow it for that schedule really does save time and money by avoiding problems like this one.
Yes, definitely. I have put 36k+ miles on the car since I got it, and don't know when the filter was last replaced, so it's high time to get it taken care of. Thanks again.
I replaced the fuel filter but it is still acting the same. I noticed a hissing sound coming from the fuel injector area. Normal? The car shakes in P and N, but it is more severe when in gear. Does this still sound like a fuel starvation issue?