300CE start problem, possibly lock-out

My 1990 300CE refuses to crank when I turn the key. For a while, I could move the shift lever to Neutral, and it would start, but sometimes not.
A few years ago, suffering a similar problem, I had the ignition switch
replaced. It had become iffy. I also had the lockout switch replaced. I think it's located at the tranny. But as stated above, the problem is back.
Hard to imagine that either the ignition or lockout switch have failed this soon. Wondering if there's any adjustment on the lockout switch that could have caused it to not make contact.
Would appreciate advice on what to look for or adjustment instructions, if there are any.
Thanks!
MC
Suggest looking elsewhere. How old is the battery? If > 4 years it is a prime suspect. If not, the starter itself is the suspect. You can easily test the starter by whacking it with a 2 x 4 or tapping it with a hammer. If the engine cranks after a couple of blows to the starter the suspect is proven guilty.
permission.
"-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Good suggestions. The thing I don't get, however, is that for a while, simply moving the shift handle back and forth (from Park to Neutral) while holding the key in the start position would cause the starter to engage. Battery is fine, however
MC
Well, then that Neutral start safety switch is the prime suspect.
permission.
"-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Thanks T.G. I'll look into it further
I agree with TG on neutral safety switch. Either it is not installed correctly or it was never changed.