300CE start problem, possibly lock-out

My 1990 300CE refuses to crank when I turn the key. For a while, I could move the shift lever to Neutral, and it would start, but sometimes not.

A few years ago, suffering a similar problem, I had the ignition switch replaced. It had become iffy. I also had the lockout switch replaced. I think it's located at the tranny. But as stated above, the problem is back.

Hard to imagine that either the ignition or lockout switch have failed this soon. Wondering if there's any adjustment on the lockout switch that could have caused it to not make contact.

Would appreciate advice on what to look for or adjustment instructions, if there are any.

Thanks!

MC

Reply to
Mary Contrary

Suggest looking elsewhere. How old is the battery? If > 4 years it is a prime suspect. If not, the starter itself is the suspect. You can easily test the starter by whacking it with a 2 x 4 or tapping it with a hammer. If the engine cranks after a couple of blows to the starter the suspect is proven guilty.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

In article , "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Mary Contrary

Well, then that Neutral start safety switch is the prime suspect.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

In article , "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Mary Contrary

I agree with TG on neutral safety switch. Either it is not installed correctly or it was never changed.

Reply to
Tiger