300D front main seal replacement

Need a quick bit of info on replacing the front crankshaft seal on my wife's '81 300D, non-turbo. The manual seems to show it being nothing more than removing the pulley and damper to get to the seal. My question might seem a
bit strange but you never know what you'll run into when you get to the bottom of the pit. Does the front main seal simply pop out forward like most engines or is there a crazy chance it might be installed from the inside? Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks gang.
http://boostnbenz.1baddsm.com/DIY may or may not help,but a good W123 link for you anyways.
I did this on my 81 300td. Get the seal with the rubber or plastic-clad outside because I was completely unsuccessful at getting the "plain" seal inserted. Lots of belts to get off, bolts to remember to tighten, etc, but straighforward.
REMEMBER TO MARK THE POSITION OF THE DAMPER CLEARLY AND INDELIBLY! Also, DON'T LOSE the metal slugs that hold the damper to the pulley. That is, just be danged careful. Also, my manual shows using a brass tool so that you don't nick the interior of the crank.
Other than that, can't think of anything. Putting it back on was a two man job for me.
Anyhing else, feel free to ask!
Tweaks

Are you saying the dampener isn't keyed? That seems totally insane to me. Usually there is a keyway and a little bar that prevents a balancer/dampener from going on in any but the correct orientation?
Marty
It can be put on exactly two ways, one correct and one not. I remembered a warning from something I read, and really didn't mark it well enough to be 100% certain it was correct. It seems to be just fine, no new wobbling or roughness...
I think the source of myleak is the front CF seal. I am planning on tackling the job. Doesnt seem that difficult. Probably more time consuming than anything else. Looks like I may have to remove fan and shroud to gain best access. Just not familiar with the damper term. Can someone xplain and offer more thoughts on this task? Thanks.