300D Hard Starting When Hot

My '91 300D 2.5 has become noticeably harder to start when the engine is warm. It eventually starts, but it cranks for a lot longer than it used to before the engine lights off.

The glow plugs aren't the problem, since the engine fires right up on cold mornings. And I doubt it's the battery, for the same reason. Either pressing the accelerator or not pressing it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Suggest you investigate the engine shut down device or the "ignition" key's vacuum switch.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Don't know your vehicle per se, but in many cases if the starter motor is getting HOT it can bind or not turn as freely. This is especially true if oil has leaked into the starter motor...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph