300D Power Antenna

My power antenna won't go up. I hear a clicking sound from the unit but nothing happens. Are there rebuild parts available or is there some kind of fix I can perform?
Gary C
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If it's the std Hirschman, good chance it can be fixed. The antenna is on a plastic cable that gets worn out, which is frequently the main problem. You can get a new cable and antenna on Ebay. It can usually be replaced without removing the unit from the car by pulling the old one all the way out as it's running the antennna out. Have you tried pulling on it while it's rrying to come out?
However, depending on how old the unit is, it may be a good idea to take the whole unit out, remove the cover, see what's doing inside, clean it up, etc. Over time, dirt/salt, gets inside and can be a problem. A little oil/grease on the right spots may be needed too.
You can try... is it worth it? not really. There are repair kits on ebay... that same seller is selling generic Hirshmann antenna for very reasonable price... which is what I have and it works great!

Yeah you just get a new antenna. The plastic gear thingy inside has broken in yours. They do that at this age. Replacements aren't too expensive.
Richard Sexton wrote:

My original Hirschman is 26 years old and running fine. All I;ve done is replace the mast once because the plastic cable had worn out and clean/lube it. And the generic replacements aren't perfect either. For example, you lose the ability for the dash switch to control the antenna height on the MB models that have that control. Now, that's not exactly the end of the world, but I'd prefer not to wind up with a dash switch that is there but no longer does anything, unless it was necessary.

There's generic replacements? I've replaced mine once and the switch still does what it's supposed to.
Richard Sexton wrote:

When I was looking into this a couple years ago for my 1980 300SD there definitely were generic Hirschman replacements that fit many cars. But as I recall, they came with different wiring connectors, the dash switch that controlled it no longer worked, there were multiple fender angle adaptors to fit diff models, etc. I'm not sure if a 100% direct replacement was available. I tend to think it wasn't but it's possible it was for $$$, while the generic type was affordable.
I wound up lubing the old one, putting in a new mast, and it's been working perfectly ever since.
You use your factory antennae boot to dictate the angle and just tighten it up. The wiring is so easy... there is only 3 wires to be concerned for electrical.
Tiger wrote:

Maybe only three wires on your car, but on my 300SD the wiring connector has 5 wires. And if it's not a generic antenna that's made to fit many models, as opposed to a direct 100% replacement, then why do you have to be concerned about the number or wires or using the old boot?
All I am saying if you don't want to spend $220+ for a new antennae or paying someone over $100 to fix it... generic Hirshmann antenna is the way to go.
Old boot makes it factory appearance. and better seal.
Lastly, why do we need to have our antennae lowered halfway? Reception stinks. Car wash? Well, why not just turn off your radio? You can't hear radio when antennae is down too...
Tiger wrote:

Note, I never said a generic wasn't OK, if you really need to replace the whole antenna. What I said was there are some drawbacks that people should be aware of, before they make that decision and there are other options. Some people don't care about having dash switches that no longer do anything in an old car that's seen better days. Others have cars that are in great shape and as close to original as possible. And for the latter, taking the time to take the cover off the original unit, clean/lube it, put in a new mast that you can get for $20, can be a better alternative. I've done exactly that with mine, cleaning/lubing it twice, replacing the mast once and after 26 years, it still works perfectly.
You are one of those lucky one... Of both MB I owned... both died... one died of gear broke at the motor... The other one died of circuit board failure. I suppose I can fix one antenne with the other one... but I don't have that old car anymore.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

300D and it works fine and was easy to install.
Antenna won't go up, no radio/tape working and now signal lights won't work........is there a relay fuse somewhere in the line? Whenever I replace the fuse in the main box, it blows immediately.