300D Turbodiesel-Engine would not stop........

Hi,

My 1983 300D Turbodiesel engine would not stop when I turn the ignition off. Would you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Irfan

Reply to
Irfan Yuksel

Vacuum leak.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Ifran,

Check the vaccum line going to the shutoff valve. It should be by the injection pump. Most likely the line has come loose.

anil bharucha

Irfan Yuksel wrote:

Reply to
mbdiesel

The engine's shut down device is a vacuum powered bellows inside the back end of the injection pump. The bellows wear out and the device needs to be replaced; your '83 is of that age. There's a brown plastic vacuum line attached to it, check that its connected before taking the car for repair.

As the shut down is vacuum powered it could be that a vacuum leak elsewhere - most likely a door lock is losing so much vacuum that none remains for the shut down device.

That's why it won't stop and you need to open the hood and press the STOP lever.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Along the same lines, my 80 300SD has started exhibiting this problem. I haven't had yet started diagnosing it. But here's a clue. In winter, it will only shut off if I've been driving the car for a few minutes or run the engine for 20 secs or so at higher RPM. If it's been idling, then it won't stop. Now that the weather is warmer, it works fine again. Also, no other obvious vacuum problems, the door locks will work days after the car is shut off.

Any guesses as to whether it's the bellows or a vacuum leak somewhere?

Reply to
trader4

I own the same model. Sounds like, either the shut down bellows is leaking and now has some lube oil in it and that's retarding its action when cold or there's some moisture in the vacuum system that freezes and so impedes the vacuum flow to the shut down.

My car's shut down wore out - the symptom was that the engine no longer quickly stopped but rather trailed off to a stop over a few seconds. If not fixed, it world eventually not stop at all.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"My car's shut down wore out - the symptom was that the engine no longer quickly stopped but rather trailed off to a stop over a few seconds. If

not fixed, it world eventually not stop at all. "

That's what mine does it cold weather. IT sort of strangles to a stop after 10-15 secs or so. I doubt it's a water freezing issue, cause I think it starts to get worse even above freezing. When I get a chance, I'm going to direct hook vacuum to the shut off and see what happens. Guess I have to wait for cold weather tho, cause its working ok now.

Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
trader4

Anil, You were right. I checked the vacum lines and I found one hose disconnected. The engines turns off after connecting the vacuum hose. Thanks a lot to you and the others for the tips. Irfan

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Irfan Yuksel

Irfan,

I apologize for misspelling your name in my first post. I am glad that it was an easy fix.

anil

Reply to
mbdiesel