300d valve clearance specs

Hello to all !

1976 300d. Run some biodiesel, but use petrodiesel also. Car shows 80K miles, but most likely 180 or 280K miles. Will replace the valve cover gasket since the existing one leaks like a screen door on proverbial submarine. While I am in the neighborhood, wouldn't it be a good time to check the valve clearances??? What should they be?? The procedure for doing so?? Last time I checked valve clearances was about 25 years ago when I had to work on M151A2 vehicles that US ARMY owned. Info will be appreciated.

If I find that clearances are way out of specs, then will have guy who specializes in working on older MBs do the adjusting as I understand there is special tool.

Thanks! Biodiesel Bob

Reply to
biodieselbob

Will send you a "how to" write up tonight.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Apr 26, 4:42=A0pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
biodieselbob

The special tool you need is an offset, z shaped handled, open end metric wrench. What you're dealing with is a lock nut and adjusting nut on each valve, so you need 2 wrenches to work them simulaneously. Do a search on Ebay for mercedes valve wrench and you'll find them. There are 3:

One long handle One short handle One funny looking smaller one that is used to hold the valve from turning, if necessary.

You can do the job with just the first two. It's probably best to have one long handle and one short handle, but I did it relatively easy using 2 long handle ones. With one long and one short, it's probably a little easier to hold the wrenches when they wind up one directly over the other. I picked up the 2 I got, used, for around $75

Reply to
trader4