300D vs 300SD W123 Chassis

Can someone explain the difference between a 300D and a 300SD? I can't seem to find anything. I'm talking about the early '80s W123 models.
TIA!

--
www.perfectreign.com

PerfectReign wrote:

A 300SD is not a w123 but a w126, an S-Class, much more luxurious than the 300D.
Ximinez
Also the W126 used the same engine, but under the hood looks different with an engine compartment shaped differently. It is longer, it has a larger trunk, it has the body molding around the bottom, different headlights, and a more luxurious and sporty look to it. Just do a google image search for W126 mercedes and a W123 mercedes, and I'm sure you'll see the difference. The 123 is easier to find parts for, but the 126 isn't actually hard to find parts for, so that is almost a moot point.
Bill
on Thursday 29 November 2007 05:35 am, someone posing as snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com took a rock and etched into the cave:

thank you both very much. I understand now - it is an S-class with the diesel.
Got it.
I imagine a 123 is shorter then?
--
www.perfectreign.com

Yup. Shorter and narrower. The 300D is the same size as the 240D of that era. The 300SD is much larger.
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:21:14 +0100, The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

OK, so where does the 300TD fit into all of this?
Rob Smith wrote:

That should be either a w123 ( < 1986 ) or a w124 ( >= 1986 ) estate diesel.
Ximinez
on Monday 03 December 2007 12:20 pm, someone posing as The Spanish Inquisition took a rock and etched into the cave:

Also known as a station wagon here in the US.
--
www.perfectreign.com

And the 300TD is a turbodiesel, fairly new technology at the time so mentioned in model designation.
DAS
"PerfectReign" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...
on Monday 10 December 2007 02:55 pm, someone posing as Dori A Schmetterling took a rock and etched into the cave:
<top posting corrected...>

Are you sure? I notice there is also a TE. Is that a turbo injector?

I know you're using Virus Express on Wintendo, but if you'd at least put two dashes and a space on the line preceding your signature, you'll help us all out.
TIA
--
www.perfectreign.com

making the impossible happen
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

TD means "transport" (or something like that) not "turbo".
Turbos appeared in '81 in the 300TD, the same year as in the 300D I believe. In the US I'm of the impression that when turbos were introduced, non-turbo was no longer available for the five-cylinder diesels.
Some useful info, some incorrect info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W123
-tom!

I also believe it's true that when turbo diesel was introduced for a particular model, then that model was no longer available with the non- turbo diesel, which is what I think you mean. However they did make turbo and non turbo versions of the US 5 cylinder diesels here for for at least several years across different models. For example in the late 70's you could get the 300SD, which was the S class that was turbo charged or the 300D, which was the normally aspirated smaller 4 door diesel.