300E 1989 ?? any good?

Page 1 of 2
What do u think of a 1989 300E with 160000miles on it? Are there any importang aspect that needs to be looked at when buying a car of this vintage?
By the way this model use premium gasoline right? What kind of damage does it do to the engine if you pour ordinary low grade gas into it? How long does it take for the damage to ruin the car? I plan to buy one of this car/model year and drive for a couple years then junk yard it so don't plan worry about long long term of keeping it. As long as it drives for a few years if I pour normal gas (non-premium) into it. With the gas price now a day, I figure the savings on gas over so many years will be enough to buy another junk mercedes by the time I junk this one. LOL
On 2005-03-11 13:57:42 -0800, "Orc General"

I don't think mercedes cars are going to be for you with that mentality.
They occasionally require expensive service, especially when you are talking about a vehicle with as long a service life as you are.
I recommend a Nissan Sentra.
Martin Joseph wrote:

You are correct. His start off doesn't seem to appreciate the aspects of the marque that we know and love. I would recommend a 87 octane running Ford Taurus!
There is a lesson here Orc, mention anything about junking a Merc and you get your head bitten off. For junking an old Taurus your doing the world a favour
I suggest you look into Honda, Toyota or Acura for such car..
Actually I think you might be right on the ball. I mean appreciate the mercedes but at this time maybe its not the right time to own one. However perhaps a few years from now. I mean the car is outstanding if one is ready financially to own such a beauty. I guess its gonna be a Honda Accord me. :-(

"ready financially"? Most of the people on this group couldn't afford to drive these cars if they had to be "ready financially" to own them. We've had a number of these cars in our family, we drive them because they are cheaper and more reliable in the long run. If you buy a badly maintained POS, then that's different story. Get a diesel, those cars are happy with the one choice of fuel that's available now (at least for now)
cp

Damn that's well said.

Darn straight!
Now can you score me a heater core for my 1966 w110?
cp

Find the ponton group. I think they're on yahoo. They're 110 central and have all that stuff or can get you one. Anything older than a 123 is dicey these days as you probably know.

You means Heckflosse? Yeh, I'll check it out
I'm glad I didn't listen to you guys about not buying it! :-)) That thing is more solid whan the w123!
cp

No, Ponton. Those guys know where all old parts are. I'm not even sure if there's a Heckflosee group. There probably is but I"ve heard the ponton guys are where to find parts.
Heckflosse just means tail fin, referring to Mercs delicate little fins in the 60s.
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@vrx.news> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@T-FCN.Net...

ahhhhh i just looooove running my hands over them fins :) cp

Yeh, I found the tailfin group on yahoo. There's a nice little diesel ponton for sale here in Vancouver for 3000CAD but they don't have a crumple zone, so I'll pass... cp

Huh? I've heard stories about these cars sacrificing themselves and protectng the owner as well as any other mb. THey may not have seat belts but I'm not too sure their crash dynamics are no good.
You can always add seabelts.
On 2005-03-14 23:32:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@vrx.news (Richard Sexton) said:

Anything you run into becomes a crumple zone...

:-) nah, I'll stick with the heckflosse, too bad it's not a diesel!
BTW I'm planning on filling up with vegetable oil for a test run (300D), is it true that it might be hard to start the engine on pure cooking oil?
cp

Pretty soon won't you be able to get just about any part as soon as they finish the Irvine, CA classic center? Richard

Do you have any links? Phone numbers? I'm itching to go down and pick up a bunch o' stuff.
cp