300E 1989 ?? any good?

What do u think of a 1989 300E with 160000miles on it? Are there any importang aspect that needs to be looked at when buying a car of this vintage?

By the way this model use premium gasoline right? What kind of damage does it do to the engine if you pour ordinary low grade gas into it? How long does it take for the damage to ruin the car? I plan to buy one of this car/model year and drive for a couple years then junk yard it so don't plan worry about long long term of keeping it. As long as it drives for a few years if I pour normal gas (non-premium) into it. With the gas price now a day, I figure the savings on gas over so many years will be enough to buy another junk mercedes by the time I junk this one. LOL

Reply to
Orc General

I don't think mercedes cars are going to be for you with that mentality.

They occasionally require expensive service, especially when you are talking about a vehicle with as long a service life as you are.

I recommend a Nissan Sentra.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

You are correct. His start off doesn't seem to appreciate the aspects of the marque that we know and love. I would recommend a 87 octane running Ford Taurus!

Reply to
JB

I suggest you look into Honda, Toyota or Acura for such car..

Reply to
Tiger

Actually I think you might be right on the ball. I mean appreciate the mercedes but at this time maybe its not the right time to own one. However perhaps a few years from now. I mean the car is outstanding if one is ready financially to own such a beauty. I guess its gonna be a Honda Accord me. :-(

Reply to
Orc General

"ready financially"? Most of the people on this group couldn't afford to drive these cars if they had to be "ready financially" to own them. We've had a number of these cars in our family, we drive them because they are cheaper and more reliable in the long run. If you buy a badly maintained POS, then that's different story. Get a diesel, those cars are happy with the one choice of fuel that's available now (at least for now)

cp

Reply to
cp

Damn that's well said.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I agree - the time and money I have put into it is almost solely because I am hypnotized by the car! I just like the lines, the ride, the smell - it's worth the nickel and diming I've put into it, but I always put the best I can afford, and right now, that's pretty much the best. If things get lean, I'll at least have a good base built!

My goal is to be driving my MBZ till I'm on SOcial Security, and that's a moving target!

Tweaks

Reply to
tweaks

There is a lesson here Orc, mention anything about junking a Merc and you get your head bitten off. For junking an old Taurus your doing the world a favour

Reply to
jackbadger

Darn straight!

Now can you score me a heater core for my 1966 w110?

cp

Reply to
cp

:-) yeh, my thoughts EXACTLY! Now that I've got a wife, a kid and a mortgage I can't afford a new one, but who cares, the only one I'd want, the e-class, looks like a ford.

Yeh, I'll be drivin' my w123 till Jesus comes!

cp

Reply to
cp

Find the ponton group. I think they're on yahoo. They're 110 central and have all that stuff or can get you one. Anything older than a 123 is dicey these days as you probably know.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

You means Heckflosse? Yeh, I'll check it out

I'm glad I didn't listen to you guys about not buying it! :-)) That thing is more solid whan the w123!

cp

Reply to
cp

No, Ponton. Those guys know where all old parts are. I'm not even sure if there's a Heckflosee group. There probably is but I"ve heard the ponton guys are where to find parts.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Heckflosse just means tail fin, referring to Mercs delicate little fins in the 60s.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

ahhhhh i just looooove running my hands over them fins :) cp

Reply to
cp

Yeh, I found the tailfin group on yahoo. There's a nice little diesel ponton for sale here in Vancouver for 3000CAD but they don't have a crumple zone, so I'll pass... cp

Reply to
cp

Huh? I've heard stories about these cars sacrificing themselves and protectng the owner as well as any other mb. THey may not have seat belts but I'm not too sure their crash dynamics are no good.

You can always add seabelts.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Anything you run into becomes a crumple zone...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

:-) nah, I'll stick with the heckflosse, too bad it's not a diesel!

BTW I'm planning on filling up with vegetable oil for a test run (300D), is it true that it might be hard to start the engine on pure cooking oil?

cp

Reply to
cp