300e auto gear box leak

my 1988 300e auto box is leaking. It does not apear to do it whilst it is running but this may be due to the a t f being slung about all over the place, but when you switch off and leave it the oil runs out but from lord
knows where !!! has anybody got any ideas ? is there a blocked breather on it ? or do we feel something more terminal. It selects all gears a treat and does not stick. The car has done 195k so maybe its just u/s !!?? Help.
The first thing to do is know the facts - check the fluid level - that's done with the transmission hot (driven about 5 miles), in P or N with motor idling. Transmission dip stick is on right side against fire wall.
Too much fluid is as bad as too little - the gears whip the excess into foam. I suspect your box was overfilled and this is the result. If so drain some out.

Also be scrupulously clean! Use a non lint rag (preferably chamois) to check the fluid level. If draining be very careful to keep dirt and lint out because this transmission is very sensitive to foreign material.

Not even. The proper way is to use your (clean!) fingers to wipe the dipstick clean then wipe your fingers off.
I used to think mechanics that did this were too lazy to find a rag but if yoe read carefully you'll find this is exactly what you're supposed to do.