300E in snow

How well does the w124 handle in snow? Is it manageable?

ever owned, with good snow tires it is almost passable
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.
It's rear wheel drive with a reasonable powerful engine so be nice to the throttle. Mine har the ASR option and its the _best_ "wintercar" i've ever owned. But be sure you know the basics in slippery weather driving. I wouldn't even think of using a car at winter here in sweden without good snowtires though. Besides its the law here .....

BTW i've driven a lot of 124's in winter. And theyre all a lot of fun and easy predictable (with appropriate tires of course).

year. Our other car is a cavalier which is much, much better. I've been garaging my 300 and it has certainly greatly benefited from this since my '89 looks still in almost showroom condition. the question is, how will a 190 handle? about the same i expect.
cheers
I drove my 300E over 200k miles in the northeastern USA, including lots of winter driving with snow, sleet, freezing rain, and mix through New England, New York, and New Jersey. A fine car if equipped with four first class snow tires. Keep two sets of wheels, one with snows and a fancy set with high performance summer tires!
I enjoyed the ride much better than my current 97 Pontiac Gran Prix, although both get through anything that a sane person would attempt.
regards and good driving

are then quite fun. But don't imagine that you can get away with just a set of chains like you can on FWD cars....

my 124, I love the car but in the snow, it is the worst I've ever driven.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.
We had a '94 E320C a few years ago that we bought for a winter car to use instead of the 560SL. We put studded Hankook snow tires on it and never had any problems at all. Handled well, stopped well, accelerated well, never got stuck in deep snow. Just drive for the road conditions with appropriate tires and your MB will continue to impress! Just use your head.
We've used Cooper studded snow tires on our '96 S500C without problems. We just bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires for the '00 CL500. Haven't tried them in snow yet. Salesman told me studs were "ancient technology" compared to today's snow tire compounds. Several of my friends swear by Hakkepallita (?) snow tires. We do have serious winter conditions here in Alaska so we don't take our snow tires lightly. By the way, a couple of sandbags in the trunk for extra weight will make an incredible difference! I recommend tirerack.com for all your tire needs! I buy all my tires there and save at least $30.00 per tire, including the shipping! Happy motoring! Dale (not Camille) 88 560SL 96 S500C 00 CL500
Greg wrote:

Nokian hakkapelitta is IMO among the better (snow)tirebrands. If "studded" means what i think it does, your salesman doesnt have a clue about snow/winter tires. (Its those small metal "spikes" in the tire right ?). Personally I use 185mm wide tires with a LOT of spikes, they sound terrible on tarmac but i really dont care when I get about the same grip on ice =). Remember that salt and heat (using snowtires on clean tarmac easily overheats them) ages the rubber so they'll get really hard after a couple of seasons.

<snip> (Its those small metal "spikes" in the tire right ?). Yep, that's them! I can't imagine studs being "outdated" but I'll give these Blizzaks a try and let the group know how this new technology tire compound stuff works... Dale
MaH wrote:

Hello Here in Finland I have old MB 400 SEL and old Nokia studded tyres and it is fun to drive. Nokia has also good tyres without pikes, Bridgestone is not as good as Nokia. Test of wintertyres is made in Finland by Tekniikanmaailma-newspaper.
Ripa

one thing, NEVER try to stud a used tire!
case
the case, minus a few cans!